It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 11:36 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: DEI-ABHAY
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:22 am 

rana wrote:
rana wrote:
Found a Back Up copy of DEI Abhay on 2 DVD-Rs. (Just checked and as expected, back up copy does work all the way thru).

Oops! Spoke too early. I had checked it, not playing at regular speed but scanning and ch advancing, and it seemed to be OK. Now, when I played it in full, it showed trouble signs. Still trying to assess playability. I would say, it's mostly playable but it does get stuck at many places, picture pixelates etc. Still trying to see if it plays till end, with some 5-10 min segments where it does get stuck.

Still it may very well be the most survived content of Abhay DVD.

BTW, sound in the DEI DVD is a killer. Excellent.

Whats the TCR of trouble signs and TCR of DVD getting stucked?

I am playing my copy on PS3.Just started.

I can make another copy for you too

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:39 pm 

schandna wrote:
rana wrote:
rana wrote:
Found a Back Up copy of DEI Abhay on 2 DVD-Rs. (Just checked and as expected, back up copy does work all the way thru).

Oops! Spoke too early. I had checked it, not playing at regular speed but scanning and ch advancing, and it seemed to be OK. Now, when I played it in full, it showed trouble signs. Still trying to assess playability. I would say, it's mostly playable but it does get stuck at many places, picture pixelates etc. Still trying to see if it plays till end, with some 5-10 min segments where it does get stuck.

Thanks yaar much appreciated;)
When ready let me know via pm so we can work out shipping;) much grateful

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:30 am 

schandna wrote:
rana wrote:
rana wrote:

So, how did it go schandna. Did your copy play all the way ?? If yes, I/ we would really appreciate a copy please. Thank you.

If not, then perhaps mine is the only surviving copy, but it has its problems.

Must admit, I never saw this film in full before and never was my priority. I had bought it only for DEI Progressive sake. But now, as this topic came up and I tried playing my copy, I surprisingly found it very interesting film. Plus, it has excellent PQ and a killer audio.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:21 am 

Same here;)me too
I still have 2 copies swapped from DEI, unfortunately both wont play past 60% ;(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:31 am 

Zoran009 wrote:
Same here;)me too
I still have 2 copies swapped from DEI, unfortunately both wont play past 60% ;(

Sorry friend
Mine is also not working and even I cant extract the video from the Disc
Anyhow I am still trying

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:05 am 

schandna wrote:
Zoran009 wrote:
Same here;)me too

Sorry friend
Mine is also not working and even I cant extract the video from the Disc
Anyhow I am still trying

Thanks schandna for trying.

I will make one more try to pick up a new DEI Abhay (I know who keeps DEI stock) in Toronto. If that too fails or I can't find DEI Abhay, I will share my surviving DVD-Rs (mostly playable with hitches) with my zulmi friends. Just wait till my next trip to Toronto (could be 1-2 months).

BTW, when I watched the film on DVD recently, I found it very interesting (and, excellent audio). Actually, why I never had enough interest, that I never watched it before, in the movie was because of the bald Abhay pictures everywhere, making it look like a non-glamour movie. This could even be the reason for this film not doing well at the Box Office. I guess, it's a case of wrong publicity ??

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:41 am 

Abhay was the movie that allegedly inspired director Quentin Tarantino to put the animated-action sequence in his Kill Bill (the animated sequence of the killing of Sharmilee seems to have been the inspiration). More about this here.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:00 am 

Bringing this post in this thread for further discussion on DEI-Abhay topic:
(Was here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12698&p=105172#p105172
)

rana wrote:
Abhay: Out of 7.73 GB orig DVD, 4.08 GB still plays OK and I backed it up (main feature; no menus) recently (it took 3 days to go thru the rotten layer # 2 to get the DVD identifying files for disc # 1). Before that I had a back up copy on 2 discs (partition was not the same) and both had problems. So, using my new disc # 1 and old disc # 2 (some overlap) disc # 1 (99 min) plays OK and the last 3.29 GB on disc # 2 (78 min plus 16 min overlap), one has to go back and forth at 3-4 places to catch all feature (may be 1-2 min unwatchable).

ABHAY is a 178 min film. DEI DVD was the same run time, (no 4% speed up).

Finally, sorted out the best combo from my backed-up/ recovered versions. The best I could do was:

Disc 1:
No Menus, Main Feature only, 99:15 min. Plays all OK except for a minor glitch at near 89:29 min mark (Ch 16). This spot is OK in disc 2 where Ch 16 is repeated.

Disc 2:

It's 94 min of which 16 min is repeated Ch 16. (78 min)

First Problem Spot:
During Ch 19, at 50:53, play freezes real bad. (Ch 19 ends at 53:38). This is very important segment in the plot and hence must put an effort to catch this portion till the end of this Ch 19. Going to Ch 20 or Ch 21 and scanning back at high speed to 51:00 mark did not work in my player. What did work was going to Ch 19 start and scan forward at high speed to 51:00 mark. There are hiccups (pixelating, sound cutting etc) in this 2-3 min segment, but this is an important segment, so try catching this.

Second Problem Spot:
Freezes at 63:10 (Ch 20) and is problematic even at Ch 21 start (64:20). OK from 65:00 onwards.
(You may skip 63:10 till 65:00 or if you want to catch this portion, you have to go back and forth 2 times.
Go back to Ch 20 start and then scan forward at high speed to 63:35. It'll get stuck again near 64:30 mark)
To resume from 65:00 mark, go to Ch 22 and scan back at high speed to 65:00 mark.

Third Problem Spot:
Ch 24 starts at 82 min mark, freezes at 86:00. To resume, Go back to start of Ch 24 (82 min mark) and scan forward at high speed to 86:30 mark. Or go to next Ch and scan back to 86:30.

(All in all, I was able to watch all the DEI Orig Code except for a total of 20 - 30 sec.
133-34 min problem free and the remaining 44 min problematic but playable)

-------------------------------------------------
In order to find an optimal orig code DEI encoding, I got to see this film multiple times, at regular speed. The film is masterpiece and DEI encoding is equally good. Film sure is Hollywood standard Pscho-Thriller, great special effects, killer aggressive directional audio. Kill Bill Director has all praise for this film and he copied idea from this film (using animation cartoons to show extreme violence).
---------------------------------------------------
Attention:
schandna, Zoran009, Charolastra, brownboy05, sengh_15, Mr_Khiladi, DragunR2, Muz, Bhaskar

----------------------------------------------------
sengh_15, hopefully you'll get a copy of this by the end of this week. Pl check and report if it works as I said above, in this post ??

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:06 pm 

Hi Rana, got the DVD thanks. I tried the DVDs in my Laptop and tried it with Power DVD. In Power DVD it does freeze/pixalate on the second disc, the first disc plays fine minus the pixalating. On Vlc player, the second disc only plays till half way, and then just stops playing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:13 pm 

sengh_15 wrote:
Hi Rana, got the DVD thanks. I tried the DVDs in my Laptop and tried it with Power DVD. In Power DVD it does freeze/pixalate on the second disc, the first disc plays fine minus the pixalating. On Vlc player, the second disc only plays till half way, and then just stops playing

I too am using Power DVD and was able to overcome problematic points, using the tricks that I mentioned in my post above. It plays the same way on my home DVD Player, as well as, Blu Ray player.

Problem is already set-in in my source DVD-Rs and this is the best recovered material after various tries. Try again, you'll be able to watch all of it, except 20-30 seconds.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:57 pm 

I was thinking how about placing the whole film onto one disc? One DVD9?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:50 pm 

Is there anyway of extracting the video and re-authoring the DVD?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:30 pm 

sengh_15 wrote:
I was thinking how about placing the whole film onto one disc? One DVD9?

Muz wrote:
Is there anyway of extracting the video and re-authoring the DVD?

I've never figured out how to combine 2 DVD-5s into one DVD-9 or to join various VOB files or to copy exact code with start point end point picks. But it sure is possible. In case of DEI Abhay, if one could copy exact code skipping 20-30 sec of problematic spots, it'll be great. Farooq Bhai, Zoran009, urbanlegend ??

I think mine is the only surviving copy, though problematic, and as I watched the movie a few times, trying to find the best combination of rescued material, I found the movie and it's transfer among the best of Indian films/ DVDs. It's worth the effort.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:12 pm 

I also am no expert - but I think that some program such a makeMKV coupled with some .mkv to DVD software may be an option ... there are also solutions for extracting .avi from DVD and then creating a DVD from that.

But like I said - I am no expert but it would be good to see this DVD preserved somehow as it seems to be one of the last remaining ones that actually is somewhat playable.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:28 pm 

My very amateur way is to use DVD Shrink (free) and create 2 titles from your 2 discs.
It will exceed the 4.5GB limit but you should encode it like that with no compression. Should be quite fast.

Once the DVD files are made (video_ts) you can import these files in IMGBURN (free) and build a DVD video disc ISO file. It should detect it as a Dual layer and ask where the layer transition split will be with a video preview button.

Use this .ISO file in IMGBURN again to write a Dual layer DVD disc in a DUAL layer DVD writer.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next