It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:11 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 10:03 pm 

it may not be all that good news to all.. i mean.. may not be encoded progressively, or may not have the true 5.1 etc etc.. but definitely would be worth watching to having in contrast to any of yashraj release. :)

hope i am not duplicating any thread here. if so, sorry.. ali please go ahead delete or merge them together...

HERO : Jacki Shroff,Dilip Kumar,Meenakshi Sheshdri
KARZ : Rishi Kapoor,Simi Gareval,Teena Munim
KARMA : Jacki Shroff, Anil Kapoor,Naushiruddin Shah,Dilip Kumar,Poonam Dhiloon,Sri Devi
SAUDAGAR : Raj kumar, Dilip Kumar, Vivek Mushran,Manisha Koirala
TAAL : Anil Kapoor,Akshay Khanna,Alok Nath, Amrish puri,Ashwariya Rai
YAADEIN : Hrithik Roshan,Jacki shroff,Kareena Kapoor
PARDES : Sharukh Khan,Amrish Puri,Apurva Agnihotri etc,Mahima Chaudhary
BADHANI HO BADHANI : Anil Kapoor,Shilpa Shetty
RAHUL : Mahesh Thakur, Jatin Grewal,Neha, Rajeshwari sachdev
TRIMURTI : Jacki Shroff, Anil kapoor,Shahrukh Khan, Saeed Jaffrey,Gauthami,Anjali Jathar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 10:08 pm 

damm ...damm dammm ...all these classic films of Subhash Ghai... will be raped by Shemaroo ( at least during encoding )...

Please can someone speak with the fooks @ Shemaroo and inform them abt this ?

Sanjay pls help us !!!! Pls.. O Pls :O

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 12:45 am 
Site Admin

monizam wrote:
cdstore.com.pk will not carry shemaroo as they claim the prints are horrible.they do have a few.

:keh: They don’t carry them, yet they have a few, quality isn’t up to standard yet they sell other crappy quality stuff. I don’t think any retailer cares for DVD quality - as long as they can get stock its OK to sell, pirate, official, bad quality or good quality - all goes.

Ali :baaa:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 12:57 am 

shuman wrote:
BADHANI HO BADHANI : Anil Kapoor,Shilpa Shetty

I believe you meant Badhaai Ho Badhaai

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:02 am 

Yes!! i knew, thats what he meant!! ha ha!! cheers!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 6:03 am 

bit confusion some members use to write that shemaroo DVDs are better then YRF

Gautam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 6:06 am 

gautam wrote:

Gautam

Gautam yeah...I used to do endorse Shemaroo, but that was when i was ignorant abt DVD Video quality vis-a-vis progressive or interlaced....
I have since changed track here now. Infact I e-mailed Shemaroo today abt this and lets see if they even care to reply back ! (if it does arrive I will post the response here)

The bane of contention were the RK films dvd released by YRF and Shemaroo....Of cos both are interlaced so I cant complain much.. I was berating Superdigital in those days (which was my folly and I regret that.. the real culprits happen to be Yash Raj who procured such pathetic prints of Classics)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 10:10 am 

I just got done watching the Shemaroo DVD of Deewangee. The DVD is being sold here in India for a MRP of Rs 550/- approx $11.

Video:
Non Anamorphic Letterboxed - cropped 1.80:1
Decent picture quality for a non-anamorphic DVD.
Sound:
Dolby Digital 5.1
Good surround sound, decent quality sound.

Pros: Price, reasonable quality video, good quality sound.
Cons: Incorrect Aspect Ratio, Non-Anamorphic, Interlaced, Forced commercials at the begining with disabled player controls including stop button.

PS: MRP = Maximum Retail Price

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 10:20 am 

sknath wrote:
damm ...damm dammm ...all these classic films of Subhash Ghai... will be raped by Shemaroo ( at least during encoding )...

Please can someone speak with the fooks @ Shemaroo and inform them abt this ?

Sanjay pls help us !!!! Pls.. O Pls :O

Sorry yaar, unfortunately I don't have any influence over Shemaroo. I have myself been racking my brains as to how to communicate with Shemaroo regarding their DVDs, specially considering that they have now started releasing new films on DVD, eg. Deewaangee. I can tell you though that the name of the owner/decision maker at Shemaroo is a Mr. Atul Maroo and therefore maybe everyone should address their communications to him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 12:23 pm 

And when are they going anamorphic?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:58 pm 

sknath wrote:
gautam wrote:

Gautam

Gautam yeah...I used to do endorse Shemaroo, but that was when i was ignorant abt DVD Video quality vis-a-vis progressive or interlaced....
I have since changed track here now. Infact I e-mailed Shemaroo today abt this and lets see if they even care to reply back ! (if it does arrive I will post the response here)

The bane of contention were the RK films dvd released by YRF and Shemaroo....Of cos both are interlaced so I cant complain much.. I was berating Superdigital in those days (which was my folly and I regret that.. the real culprits happen to be Yash Raj who procured such pathetic prints of Classics)

Shemaroo prints are great as long as you don't care about Progressive/ Interlaced display. Colors are vibrant, pic is sharp and detailed. Only thing is, Shemaroo mostly uses averaged video fields technique, implying interlaced encoding, which will never give the original film frames back. As far as our current TV viewing is concerned, Progressive vs Interlaced makes no difference and keeping this in mind Shemaroo DVDs are great.

Now, coming back to Progressive vs Interlaced, it's a common phrase, "When you see the progressive pic the first time you don't see any improvement; the only thing is you will never want to see the interlaced pic again."

It looks like, sknath has seen the progressive pic now. (I am sure, rest of us will see progressive pic soon).

As far as I am concerned, I like progressive DVDs with bad PQ as opposed to brilliant but interlaced DVDs.

Shemaroo vs Yashraj DVDs of the same titles: Both are interlaced and Shemaroo have much better PQ.

Shemaroo DVDs are not as good as DEI of the same titles.
I don't expect Shemaroo DVDs to be better than Super Digital's selective progressive DVDs of the same titles. For example, Koyla, Hera Pheri etc, even though SD versions have much lower bit rates.

Rana

Edited By rana on 1037804424

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 5:11 pm 

I think a lot more than the interlaced/progressive issue, what is more important is the issue of cropping. First and foremost for a DVD to qualify as one of decent quality, it must be presented in the correct aspect ratio. What good is the picture quality if you cannot even see the whole picture that the director shot. The next important thing is that the Video be presented anamorphically. It is only after these two issues does progressive/interlaced become an issue. By the way you must keep in mind that Shemaroo DVDs are being produced primarily for the Indian market, and the vast majority (by far) of the displays in India are interlaced. In fact other than Plasma and a few very high end front projectors, there are no, and I mean zero, zip, nada televisions capable of Progressive, available in India or for that matter in Asia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 5:48 pm 

Sanjay wrote:
I think a lot more than the interlaced/progressive issue, what is more important is the issue of cropping. First and foremost for a DVD to qualify as one of decent quality, it must be presented in the correct aspect ratio. What good is the picture quality if you cannot even see the whole picture that the director shot. The next important thing is that the Video be presented anamorphically. It is only after these two issues does progressive/interlaced become an issue. By the way you must keep in mind that Shemaroo DVDs are being produced primarily for the Indian market, and the vast majority (by far) of the displays in India are interlaced. In fact other than Plasma and a few very high end front projectors, there are no, and I mean zero, zip, nada televisions capable of Progressive, available in India or for that matter in Asia.

Agree!

As for audience/consumers is concerned, i hope i am not wrong to say, even here in North-America the majority of the hindi films market uses interlaced tv. very small portion (less than 10%) possess or will ever possess plasma or high defintion tv. that could be the main reason why indian authors neglects to see their point-of-view.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 6:57 pm 

Sanjay wrote:

Sanjay... which begs the question... even a lousy Hollywood film is encoded progressively....and ppl in Asia may not have Progressive TV's but they sure have DVD-ROM's in abundance and if I am not mistaken a computer screen is the next bestthing available to a progressive TV :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 7:08 pm 

I was about to say the same!!This is no damn excuse..to not encode film in prog mode!! not justifiable..or as a consumer, if u all think:

'whatever you are getting in the name of dvds from these hindi dvd makers' thats what we/you all deserve, based upon our own limitations?..then its a diff story!! :baaa: :bangbang: