It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:08 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 5:34 pm 

Wouldn't it be great to see this classic films on Criterion Collection with remastered & lots of special features.

Goto this link and it has a form to suggest titles. Please suggest this classic.

http://www.criterionco.com/asp/ask_form.asp

Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 5:59 pm 
Site Admin

I changed the title of this thread for something more appropriate to save the disappointment that I suffered when I read this thread :bash:

Ali :nervous:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 7:57 pm 

I emailed Sony Pictures Classics about the Apu Trilogy 1 or 2 months ago and I got a reply saying that it will be released sometime in 2003. I think I talked to Carmela Pirrone, but it might have been someone else. Sony is really the company that we have to contact, since Criterion does not have an agreement with Sony, like they do with Disney and Universal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 9:40 pm 

ali wrote:
I changed the title of this thread for something more appropriate to save the disappointment that I suffered when I read this thread :bash:

Ali :nervous:

sorry...I thought about it too.. but it was a title which caught attention...!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 10:07 pm 

Dragun or anyone, can someone tell me who has the rights for all Satyajit Ray films ? I know CT has the rights for the Apu Trilogy.. but what abt his other masterpieces... Jalsagar, Agantuk, Nayak (yeah Uttam Kumar of cos :) ) etc. ?

Bhaskar etc... anyone ; any info ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 10:39 pm 

sknath wrote:
Dragun or anyone, can someone tell me who has the rights for all Satyajit Ray films ? I know CT has the rights for the Apu Trilogy.. but what abt his other masterpieces... Jalsagar, Agantuk, Nayak (yeah Uttam Kumar of cos :) ) etc. ?

Bhaskar etc... anyone ; any info ?

Sony released the following Ray films on VHS:

Apu Trilogy
Jalsaghar
Charulata
Mahanagar
Devi
Teen Kanya (with "Monihara" omitted)
Jana Aranya

I have all of the above except Jana Aranya.

Is Agantuk the same as The Stranger? I believe I saw The Stranger on Amazon.com from Embassy (which was bought by MGM). I've also seen Ghaire Bhaire ("The Home and the World") for rent at a local video store, also by Embassy, I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 3:48 pm 

Well seems like dream comes true, but you don't get all you want...

Quote:
From the vaults come a handful of classic catalog titles: Aparajito, Pather Panchali, The World of Apu, Solid Gold Cadillac and Rage and Honor and Rage and Honor II: Hostile Takeover. All are presented in 4:3 full screen only except Solid Gold Cadillac, which gets a widescreen transfer. The only extras are trailers and filmographies, and retail is $29.95 on the first three and $19.95 on the rest.

RELEASING: OCTOBER 28 2003.

DVDFILE LINK

Edited By hutbay on 1061567641

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:49 pm 

looks like we only miss the extras...perhaps some kind region 2 soul would like to rip the extras from the r2 release and let us view them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:57 pm 

Retail is $29.99 each? I bought the trilogy on VHS for about $60 five or six years ago, but the list price was probably a little more.

I haven't seen this for preorder anywhere. I'm disappointed that Columbia didn't put any extras of note on the films, but I'll be happy just to have decent quality DVDs of the films. Hopefully a complete version of Teen Kanya is next.

I read on some site several years ago that Parash Pathar was being restored, but nothing has come up. Does anyone know anything about it? It was an entertaining film starring Tulsi Chakravarti (the teacher in Pather Panchali).

Edited By DragunR2 on 1061582425

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:45 pm 

DragunR2 wrote:
Retail is $29.99 each? I bought the trilogy on VHS for about $60 five or six years ago, but the list price was probably a little more.

I haven't seen this for preorder anywhere. I'm disappointed that Columbia didn't put any extras of note on the films, but I'll be happy just to have decent quality DVDs of the films. Hopefully a complete version of Teen Kanya is next.

I read on some site several years ago that Parash Pathar was being restored, but nothing has come up. Does anyone know anything about it? It was an entertaining film starring Tulsi Chakravarti (the teacher in Pather Panchali).

Dragun,, if you wanna be the Bakra, do let us know if the prints are interlaced or progressive !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:22 pm 

I'm sure these will be progressive. The major American studio releases usually are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 12:24 am 

I don't know about you guys, but this also cought my attention: :bash:
Quote:
And for you TV fans, Columbia TriStar will finally release Married...with Children: The First Season on the 28th. Each episode is presented in 4:3 full screen and Dolby 2.0 stereo, and there are no extras. Retail for this two-disc set is $29.95.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 2:14 am 

??? Umm DVD_C you lost me there, whats attention catching there ?.. Married with Children ?

Dragun, why I ask you this .. I recently had a chance to watch a French film ( La Pianiste) on DVD. This is a movie from France, and it was released in NA by Alliance Atlantis. Apparently the film has been encoded @ 30 fps :keh: giving you the so called "Indian DVD-Effect" .. So thats what I am wondering, will CT, be using fresh masters for this film, or would they be using the master used for making the R2 versions of this film ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 2:53 am 

sknath wrote:
??? Umm DVD_C you lost me there, whats attention catching there ?.. Married with Children ?

It clearly cought my attention, largely because its one of the few TV shows I've ever seen that always makes laugh like no tomorrow, and its interesting that the show from start carried the image of a pervertedness social entity (and thus, its unpopular image). Whereas, I felt it was more of a blunt satirical show on sexuality. Anywho, I'm really shocked(yet happy) to see it making its way onto DVD

By the way, what did you think of "The Piano Teacher"? I've recently saw it myself. I personally loved Isabelle Huppert performance.

Edited By DVD Collector on 1061607307

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 3:26 am 

Well my francofone landlord, saw it and he was agahst as he was watching it with his 91 year olf MOM :D .. I was kinda lost when it ended... rather abruptly ? I didnt know how to interpret it !.. I guess thats why the french, adore Satyajit Ray's films :D