It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 3:50 am 

sknath wrote:
??? Umm DVD_C you lost me there, whats attention catching there ?.. Married with Children ?

Dragun, why I ask you this .. I recently had a chance to watch a French film ( La Pianiste) on DVD. This is a movie from France, and it was released in NA by Alliance Atlantis. Apparently the film has been encoded @ 30 fps :keh: giving you the so called "Indian DVD-Effect" .. So thats what I am wondering, will CT, be using fresh masters for this film, or would they be using the master used for making the R2 versions of this film ?

Columbia has botched transfers before, such as Enigma (being re-released) and Once Upon a Time in China (original language version). I don't know if those titles were interlaced or just otherwise messed up. A review I read of some DVD on DVDfile.com made a point of mentioning it was not 24p, so if they review the Apu Trilogy, we would probably know how they encoded the video. I highly doubt they would stoop to the level of Indian companies and use a PAL master, but one never knows. A French company did put out a VHS quality DVD of Jalsaghar.

As for the French loving Ray, he has said that his films are a tribute to Jean Renoir, so perhaps they respond to that influence.

Married...With Children. The show is funny precisely because it is so stupid. Sometimes the objectifying of women is over-the-top, but no more so than in many Indian films :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:46 am 

Tentative covers from the Sony website:

Basically same as the VHS covers, except the first two were tinted green and the third tinted red. And they still have the picture from Aparajito on the Pather Panchali cover
:stupid:

Edited By DragunR2 on 1062038877

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:56 am 

Sknath, your concern about PAL to NTSC may be more pressing than I thought.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum....mber=12

Apparently the recently released Warner/MK2 DVDs of some Chaplin films have been converted from PAL to NTSC. MK2 is a French company, so perhaps they made the transfers in PAL for Europe and WB simply converted them to NTSC. I hope the Apu Trilogy DVDs are not like this.

Fox Lorber's DVD of Breathless is also PAL to NTSC but FL is a generally mediocre company, so I expected as much when I watched the disc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:24 am 

Man o Man, I saved myself quite a few bucks.. by not buying those Chaplin DVD's ( even though I was dying to own them.. some onf my all time fav classics... the others being the Hitchcock classics )...

You can hope against Hope... I will eat my words here on this forum, but I am sure CT will just convert the PAL master to NTSC and release them here, making them on Par with all our Non-BEI Indian DVD's :D (you see an Indian standard dvd is not Indian standard if it doesnt have the combing effect :D)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:27 am 

Ha Ha Ha..... I take back my words.. Warner Brothers seems to be taking a laef out of the EROS-book-of-shit-dvd-encoding :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:35 am 

For folks here who value their "GREAT-PQ" DVDS.. that are non progressively encoded.. take a look at this ! Maybe you guys ( you-know-who-you-are) will think twice before supporting such shit dvds !

I think, unless Warner Change their encoding strategy.. I will have to hunt for these Image entertainment discs..or maybe even settle for PAL encoded versions !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:33 pm 

just a reminder: tomorrow each part of the trilogy gets released. the cheapest i can find each dvd is 27.98 CDN at http://www.dvdsoon.ca

retail is 40.00 :ffs:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:50 pm 

This looks like shit!

source: reviews.dvdbeaver.com
discussion: Home Theater Forum

Burnt in subtitles. Looks like the subs are on the print itself for Aparajito.

Sigh, time to get a region free player.

:nopity: :baaa: :ffs:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:02 pm 

Screen shots indicate Field Averaging and/ or PAL to NTSC transfer. Moreover, NTSC DVD seems to have been mastered from VHS masters.

R2 DVDs (Apu triology) in PAL are excellent. They have lots of extras too. Criterion was involved in the making of these R2 DVDs even if these are not in criterion collection.

As long as North American customers keep on accepting sub-standard DVDs, why do a proper job??

Rana

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:12 am 

just bought the r2 package from bensons-world. 38.75 pounds shipped to canada.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:53 pm 

Some examples from compare.dvdbeaver.com

Artificial Eye on top, Columbia on bottom

The Columbia Region-1 DVD version was based the 1994 restoration effort by Merchant-Ivory Production. Unfortunately, the disc was apparently transferred from a low-definition print, and the result looks to be of laserdisc quality and not good enough for DVD.

The Region-2 PAL DVD from UK's Artificial Eye looks much sharper, apparently because a high-def print was used. The print also went through considerable cleanup, eliminating a lot (but not all) of the speckles, scratches, and other blemishes that are seen on the R1 disc. There are also fewer instances where the frame becomes unsteady and jerky.

On the screenshots below showing children running through a doorway, the R1 disc also exhibits the "ghosting" effect, indicating a non-progressive source was used for the transfer. The R2 disc has no such artifacts.

The R2 disc has removable, re-translated subtitles, but I've noticed quite a few un-translated dialogs. In the scene where the children go to see a roadside performance, the dialogs in the performance are not fully subtitled on the R2 disc, whereas on the R1 disc they are. The R1 disc has white, non-removable subtitles.

The audio on the R2 disc is sharper and has better dynamic range, but more hisses and static.

The R1 disc runs 126 minutes total, including 90 seconds of credits for the Merchant-Ivory restoration; thus the film itself runs 124 minutes. The R2 disc is time-coded to be 120 minutes long, even though the packaging states 125 minutes..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 7:31 pm 

DragunR2 wrote:
The R1 disc runs 126 minutes total, including 90 seconds of credits for the Merchant-Ivory restoration; thus the film itself runs 124 minutes. The R2 disc is time-coded to be 120 minutes long, even though the packaging states 125 minutes.. [/i]

For good quality Film to PAL video, 4% speed shift is normal. Film run time of 125 min translates into 120 min of PAL video.

(Oversmart technicians can easily ruin Film to PAL transfers by field averaging to make up for the 4% discrepency)

Rana

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:04 pm 

Interesting article about restoration of the Apu Trilogy:

http://www.rediff.com/movies/special/ex ... 150429.htm

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 1:55 am 

bhaskar wrote:
Interesting article about restoration of the Apu Trilogy:

http://www.rediff.com/movies/special/ex ... 150429.htm

Thanks for the article. I found it excellent. There's also a trailer for the restored trilogy and after its theatrical run The Criterion Collection should release it on Blu-Ray and DVD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgv68E_o6VM

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:08 pm 

Criterion version has been out for a while. I borrowed it from our local library. Excellent restoration work.