It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:28 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 2:17 pm 

Title: Raaj Tilak
Starring: Raaj Kumar, Sunil Dutt, Dharmendra, Hema Malini, Reena Roy, Kamal Hasan
Director: Raj Kumar Kohli
Brand/Distributor: UDI
Genre: Film, Drama, Action
Year: 1984

Thanks to Armaan for these shots! :thumbs:

Edited By urbanlegend on 1065881895

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 4:07 pm 

Did you see it with subtitles on the 'big screen' when it was released? :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:50 pm 

Is 36 GHANTE with Sanjay Khan and Parveen Babi. Is it a good film? RAAJ TILAK's dvd have subtitles in english too...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:15 pm 

Goodness! a multi-cast starrer film.

This dvd sure has subtitles. The print for the dvd isn't that bad as mentioned before me. But nowhere a match to a dvd print. It can easily be described as best vhs print.

I dont know whether the actual movie is like that or not but there are awful lot of cuts making the director look novice in the field of directing. songs are nicely done.

one more thing, usually any dvd i played so far, i can see the duration of the entire movie, but this movie appears to have been split in two and hence i wasn't able to see the duration of the entire movie at a glance.

:hmm:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:17 pm 

This is a from VHS transfer..indeed..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:53 pm 

Shuman, I assumed you managed to rent this movie... I can't imagine you buying it! In my opinion, the print appears slighthly better on TV than on these screenshots, but certainly not of DVD standard.

Raj Kumar Kohli could not make a film without getting half the film industry involved. There is Raaj Kumar, Sunil Dutt, Dharmendra, Kamal Hasan, Raj Kiran, Hema Malini, Reena Roy, Ranjeeta, Sarika, Yogeeta Bali, not to mention all the villians... Typical masala film, all big stars have confrontation scenes, and song and dance routines. It might have seemed like cuts to you, but I wouldn't be surprised if this sort of editing was necessary even in the original film.

As for the director being a novice. This film, released in 1984, is after three of Raj Kumar Kohli's classics: Nagin, Jaani Dushman and Naukar Biwi Ka. In my opinion, Raaj Tilak is worst of the lot - too much masala, and the story is lost!!

I have to say the last song was badly choreographed. The climax song is meant to bring all the stars together in disguise, Manmohan Desai style. But Dharmendra and Sunil Dutt decides not to dance, perhaps they felt they were too old for doing this sort of thing. So Kamal Hasan dances with Reena Roy and Ranjeeta (Sunil Dutt's love interest). Hema Malini (Dharmendra's love interest) is dancing by her self with no lyrics to sing to ...

:)

Edited By armaan on 1066158694

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:18 pm 

This movie very draggy. but for some reason, i didn't get half bored as what i would get to watch a draggy movie. have you seen dilip kumar's aadmi? i couldn't watch it in one go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:01 pm 

With all great respect to this thespian, I can't watch any of Dilip Kumar's movies without being tempted to fast forward his slow dialogue delivery. I have not seen aadmi, but I think its on DEI so will get it one day, but its unlikely to be as entertaining as Raaj Tilak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:07 am 

armaan don't forget Badle Ki Aag, again half of Bollywood is involved! This one stars Dharmendra, Sunil Dutt, Jeetendra, Pran, Madan Puri, Shakti Kapoor, Your favorite Reena Roy, also Narupa Roy. Smita Patel and my favorite Kadar Khan in a double role and a few others I can't remember! :D Again his signature mark, bad editing. No smooth transition from one scene to the next leaves for jerky experience! When not coherrent,very predictable. :p Since you are familiar with Bezubban expect this transfer to be on par :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:44 am 

monizam wrote:
36 Ghante-I am pretty sure this was in the 70's -was a pretty short movie..

Glad to know 36 GHAANTE is a short movie and does not last 36 hours!
:D :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:16 pm 

NEW BEI dvd is WS, not STANDARD, non anamorphic, seems sourced from the same source and heavly DNRed! :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:40 pm 
Site Admin

Screen shots from this BEI DVD - thanks to Arsh;

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:24 pm 

This dvd is aggressively force weaved lol. some cropping and excessively DNRed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:20 pm 

Can't believe BEI version not only crap, but it's crap in comparison to another crap. Sorry, if I said before in another thread that BEI one is better than previously released versions. That was my first impression, but comparing the UDI ss posted above and my BEI DVD, it's confirmed BEI Raaj Tilak is to be avoided.

Not only BEI print is worst than UDI, it's half the screen. Yes, it has been heavily cut from top and bottom to make it look like widescreen. One would have imagined that widescreen version contains extra picture on the sides, it contains none. It's just cut from top and bottom.

-----------------------------------

urbanlegend/ armaan, could you pl check if your UDI versin is SL or DL ?? The one (UDI Raaj Tilak) that I found in Ottawa (rental) was SL and it was really crap print. Your UDI screen shots are much better. Better colors and sharpness. Even if we assume, rental (Ottawa; UDI) version to be pirate, a compressed version will not loose colors at least (colors were faded).

Did UDI release more than one version of Raaj Tilak ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:58 pm 

rana wrote:
Can't believe BEI version not only crap, but it's crap in comparison to another crap. The one (UDI Raaj Tilak) that I found in Ottawa (rental) was SL and it was really crap print. Your UDI screen shots are much better. Better colors and sharpness. Even if we assume, rental (Ottawa; UDI) version to be pirate, a compressed version will not loose colors at least (colors were faded).

When I said, BEI version was better, I was comparing with the UDI DVD that I rented in Ottawa. Armaan's SS are much better and that's the version to go for.