It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:12 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:00 am 

Shaan Director's Cut & Theatrical Cut - Need Verification....

Guys can you verify the following cuts between the Director's Cut (DC) and the Theatrical Cut (TC)...

1) Shorter Start Credits in the TC. In the DC version you see a clip montage of all the main actors in the film.
2) In the TC Intro of Big B and Shashi Kapoor begins when Big B enters the Hotel...while in the DC the intro begins with Big B and Shashi Kapoor sitting in the car, stalking out the Hotel
3) The end of the robbery scene in the Hotel has been trimmed in the TC.
4) "Naam Mera Abdul" song has been trimmed towards the end in the TC.
5) Start of the second song is trimmed in the TC.
6) The scene when the Big B and Shashi Kapoor are in Jail after second song is shorten in TC...
7) The drug bust by Sunil Dutt is trimmed down in TC.
8) Two important scenes at Shakaal lair are edited out in the TC. i - The traitor being violently eaten by the crocodile is shown in some detail. ii - When Shakaal asks his three henchmen to find the perfect marksmen (Shatru Sinha).
9) In TC the intro of Shatru and his wife working at the circus is edited out. Instead in the TC version the scene starts of with Shatru meeting with Shakaal's men in a circus tent.
10) Additional dialogue edits are made in the TC between Shatru and Shakaal first and second meeting.
11) Scene of Rakhee's daughter at school is edited out of the TC edition.
12) Scene of Shashi Kapoor arriving late to meet his vexed girlfriend at the park is edited out in the TC.
13) During the song "Jaanu Meri Jaan" the scene when Big B and Shashi Kapoor are nicking the bike is edited out in the TC.
14) Shatru picking up ice cream for the young girl is trimmed down in the TC.
15) Shakaal's henchmen (Mac Mohan) explaining to the Big B, Shashi & Shatru how to get to Shakaal's island is shorten in the TC.
16) Shakaal's death scene is trimmed in the TC.
17) The death of some people (dancers and henchmen) during the Island falling apart is cut.
18) No long credit end sequence in the TC.

Running time of DC = 208.36 Mins (Negative Timecodes from BBFC).
Running time of TC = 181.59 Mins (Negative Timecodes from BBFC).

Therefore around 26 mins is missing in TC…but I know there are more scene that was compleatly edited out...does anyone know what they were, and where they saw it???

Edited By Shahran Sunny Audit on 1057201443

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:11 pm 

Hey where will u find this director's cut, i am looking for the dvd having the song Mitua in it. Also shaan was one of the longest movies in those times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:24 pm 

There is no version containing Mitwa song. The 2 versions of SHAAN both have scenes missing, no complete SHAAN available. Best to get a copy of DEI Shaan from Ebay, and another from Indian company to compare or combine!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:32 pm 

I have seen the longer cut of Shaan on VHS which was in a widescreen format (possible not the format it was actually in shot in, which would have been 2.35:1 ) But it was definatly 1.85:1.

It was released by Apollo Video, This was a surprise as there were prints of the same movie cut and in Pan and Scan from Apollo too.

I wonder if anyone out there has still got this cut on VHS. I would have copied it but at the time Movie Box had the one copy and unfortunatly it was recorded on a 3 hr tape and the ending was missing

If anyone has this on VHS please let me know, I will love to take tge copy and onvert it to DVD. Its better then not having it all for now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:05 pm 

check rana sahab! he has huge vhs library!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:23 pm 

Zoran009 wrote:

Who's he? And where can i find him??

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:54 pm 

sythlord2001 wrote:
Zoran009 wrote:

Who's he? And where can i find him??

send a pm, he is here!dil ki aankh se dekho bhaii! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:46 pm 

sythlord2001 wrote:
I have seen the longer cut of Shaan on VHS which was in a widescreen format (possible not the format it was actually in shot in, which would have been 2.35:1 ) But it was definatly 1.85:1.

......It was released by Apollo Video, This was a surprise as there were prints of the same movie cut and in Pan and Scan from Apollo too.....

After DEI DVD released, Apollo used those prints to make new VHS batches. Same cover and 1.85 print from DEI, but with Apollo logo.
This is a different cut to Apollo's original longer pan n scan version.

just look at the opening title sequence of Shaan, if it has the longer portion of each actors freeze frame included, its the Theatrical longer cut.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:31 pm 

This was before DVD came onto the market.
I remember it clearly cause I remember the bits when Shtrughan Sinha sees Rakhi picking up her kids from school and he offers them a lift just before the shoot out at the stable, and whilst he is getting them in the car outside the school, Shakaals mens are watching them from across the road.

The other seen I clearly remember is before the song Januu Meri Jaan, In the Pan and Scanned and the DVD version, they only show why Parveen Babi gets upset with Amithabh and not why Bindya Goswami gets upset with Shashi Kapoor. But in the print I have seen, they show Shashi Kapoor turning up late and there is atleast a 5 min scene with them.

The third scene I can remember clearly is Amithabh & Shashi waiting for Abdul after Sunil Dutt has been shot, and they are sking the guys at the dhabha type place when is he coming and the guys reply that he is usually here by now and should be on his way.

Final scene I remember clearly is the end fight which is very long, whilst Amithabh, Shashi * Shatru are locked in the room with Shakaal, They are showing the girls and jhonny walker fighting and tryng to escape.

Apart from the obvious longer credit start and the song Naam abdul hai mera..

I remember these scenes very cleary, unfortunatly the tape ended as it was on a 3 hr cassette.

And above all it was in a 1.85:1 ratio, even though not n the full ratio it was still in widescreen. I have been looking for this print for a long time but full. So far no luck, just wondering if anyone has an idea.

I don't care if ts VHS as i will make it into a dvd myself, yes the quality wont be gr8 but atleast I will have the FULL movie.

brownboy05 wrote:
sythlord2001 wrote:

......It was released by Apollo Video, This was a surprise as there were prints of the same movie cut and in Pan and Scan from Apollo too.....

After DEI DVD released, Apollo used those prints to make new VHS batches. Same cover and 1.85 print from DEI, but with Apollo logo.
This is a different cut to Apollo's original longer pan n scan version.

just look at the opening title sequence of Shaan, if it has the longer portion of each actors freeze frame included, its the Theatrical longer cut.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:36 pm 

I definitely had Shaan and Maqsad on one VHS since early days of VHS. But, I couldn't find that VHS today. It used to be very popular among friends for borrowing and I haven't been keeping track since DVDs came about. I sure will find it sometime. Also, I can check the VHS rental store that still has copies from early VHS days.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:03 am 

rana wrote:
I definitely had Shaan and Maqsad on one VHS since early days of VHS. But, I couldn't find that VHS today. It used to be very popular among friends for borrowing and I haven't been keeping track since DVDs came about. I sure will find it sometime. Also, I can check the VHS rental store that still has copies from early VHS days.

think of rana and rana is here!! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:28 am 

There's a dvd out by Ultra I think which has 2.35 AR I think and the full version I think ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:12 am 

NewDeep wrote:
There's a dvd out by Ultra I think which has 2.35 AR I think and the full version I think ;-)

i checked that out, its rubbish. Same cut as DEI, worse quality and not the longer version.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:17 am 

Shaan - movie - listed at BBFC http://www.bbfc.co.uk/AFF024640/ is 208 minutes long! Is this the same Shaan?
The Video is listed as 181 minutes long at http://www.bbfc.co.uk/AVF024640/

The new PEN DVD (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11472) is 169 min 42 secs long.

IMDB thread http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081491/boa ... 3?d=115193

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:46 am 

there is a 208 min Shaan somewhere. There are alot of scenes cut on the newly released DVDs. IF the Pen dvd is 169mins then that is cut further.