It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:39 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 8:25 pm 

Notwithstanding the occasional juvenile jibes by a few (rather 1 or 2 only) pipsqueaks here in zulm (one of them sure needs to get his mouth checked up... too much foul lang... surely doesnt help... it gives you bad breath :D) ...

First of all I would like to thank DragunR2 for helping me obtain 2 copies of this absolutely fabulous DVD ! It was indeed great to have done a barter with him via Indiaweekly .. Made him happy and made us also Happy !... Anyone else interested in such trades.. please do get in touch... I am looking for a genuine EVP Kati Patang DVD...

And now for the specs :-
----------------------------
Pirate DVD

Video :- Interlaced...combing artifacts...and overtly bright in color... Having an avg bitrate of 2.44-4.5 Mbps

Audio :- is also distorted....DD 2.0 192 Kbps

The DVD menus cannot be accessed... Only the Play option and the Songs video option option (which infact are the same thing in this DVD)

No inlay card... the dvd cover looks faded and also excessive bleeding of color...

Genuine DVD

Video :- Progressive, having a bit-rate of 5-6 Mbps, slightly dull colors but they can be adjusted using ur POWERDVD setup or TV remote..

Audio :- DD 2.0 192 Kbps...and minimal distortion..clear audio

No inlay card again... This dvd came in a cover resembling DEI's covers (:oh) now what could that mean ?.... It also has a PG symbol printed on the main cover ! Gets more intriguing indeed....

So folks this version is the one you should be buying...or trying to lay ur hands on.... As this film is a milestone and an eternal Indian Classic !

------------------------------

DVD covers :- (Too big to be posted here)

The Genuine DVD
http://www.zulm.net/sknath/Aradhana/ara ... enuine.jpg

The Pirate DVD
http://www.zulm.net/sknath/Aradhana/aradhana_pirate.jpg

Disc Artwork :-

Black one is from the pirate and the designed one is from the Genuine DVD

http://www.zulm.net/sknath/Aradhana/aradhana1.jpg

and finally the screenshots.... There is a screenshot at the end..requested by RANA..indictaing that in the Genuine Progressive Transfer we can see the License plate of the Jeep whereas in the Interlaced (pirated version) we are not able to see anything....

All scrrenshots (genuine and pirate) taken in a force-weave mode in PowerDVD... with original FILM settings... no color enhancements made while taking the screenshots

Progressive - Genuine DVD Screenshots

Edited By sknath on 1039812748

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 8:28 pm 

The Pirate = Interlaced DVD

Edited By sknath on 1039811651

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 8:34 pm 

and the Special Requested Shots by Rana :-
( interlaced and taken in a Force-weave mode)

( interlaced and taken in an Auto-select mode)

(progressive taken in a force weave mode)

Edited By sknath on 1039812230

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 8:39 pm 

I think, it would be NICE to give one or two, comparative shots from pirated version to, without weaving, mean on auto, may be one with JEEP, and one each of sharmila, rajesh, close ups!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 8:51 pm 

so folks now we know why sknath likes Progressive dvds !!!

'Progressive Transfer we can see the License plate of the Jeep whereas in the Interlaced (pirated version) we are not able to see anything....'

:D :D :D :D

he's seems to be more interested in whats going on in the background rather than in the foreground !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 9:14 pm 

sknath wrote:
and the Special Requested Shots by Rana :-
( interlaced and taken in a Force-weave mode)

( interlaced and taken in an Auto-select mode)

(progressive taken in a force weave mode)

Readability of the tiny license plate # shows remarkable quality potential of the Progressive DVD. The detail and quality is shocking.

Please don't negate the Excellent Quality of an Excellent movie by bickering or by using foul language.

Thanks.

Rana

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 9:43 pm 

Sknath and Rana, I'm glad the DVDs arrived safely. You certainly wasted no time putting up the screenshots!

Some notes on the copy I have. The disc I have is the same as the discs I sent you, except yours has actual chapter stops, whereas on mine, clicking a certain chapter on the menu will just jump ahead, say, 34 minutes into the film. The video and audio are the same, and so are the menus.

The cover on mine is like the pirate cover you scanned, except the pirate appears to have the brightness increased a little. The blue bar on the back of mine says "Inter-active menu feature in pan & scan. Chapter points for movie & songs. Songs audio only. Songs with video" and the Dolby logo on the spine of my copy says "Dolby Digital" not "Dolby System." The disc artwork on mine is black like on the pirate, but "Aradhana" is in the font of the title card from the film and the Dolby Digital logo and "EVP International" look a little different.

Mine came with an inlay card with the chapter stops on it as well as some credits, such as the two main stars, directed by, story and screenplay, music, and lyrics.

Aside from the slightly dull colors and slightly excessive DVNR, this is an excellent disc. Pick it up if you see it, but make sure it is the progressive one if that matters to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 9:44 pm 

Rana and Sknath,
Quote:
Readability of the tiny license plate # shows remarkable quality potential of the Progressive DVD. The detail and quality is shocking.

I don't think we left anything for the people to understand the quality of progressive DVD's by now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 12:50 am 

I thing, even non believers, should be willing to give it a second thought!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 1:34 am 

Some more screenshots of the Jeep sequence sent by Arsh.. These are in an

Auto-select mode

To add to what arsh said....even non-believers would start having second thoughts provided they actually care to appreciate the quality of progressively encoded dvds and not settle for "watchable DVDs"....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 1:48 am 

So, sknath, did you get these dvds recently from IW? I ask because I got both Abhimaan and Araadhana (both EVP) from IW as recent as last week and I just received them yesterday. The cover art and the menu looks very different from what you show. The cover says "Classic Collection" on both of them. It also has the EVP logo on it but the PQ looks like it must be the interlaced version for both Abhimaan and Araadhana though the Abhimaan dvd looks slightly better. Of course, I am a novice at detection so maybe I have no clue what I am talking about. :rolleyes:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 1:59 am 

man, u are in trouble..ha ha, me too!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 2:13 am 

mrig wrote:
So, sknath, did you get these dvds recently from IW? I ask because I got both Abhimaan and Araadhana (both EVP) from IW as recent as last week and I just received them yesterday. The cover art and the menu looks very different from what you show. The cover says "Classic Collection" on both of them. It also has the EVP logo on it but the PQ looks like it must be the interlaced version for both Abhimaan and Araadhana though the Abhimaan dvd looks slightly better. Of course, I am a novice at detection so maybe I have no clue what I am talking about. :rolleyes:

Mrig..for once I will have to back off my IW "chamchagiri" ( as so many ppl like to call that here) and credit this to DragunR2... I casually asked him one day to send me replicated versions of his copy and he actually got hold of 2 progressive copies of this DVD :oh ... Read the thread abt IW & Barter in the Trade/Sell forum... and you will find the details...

I wont bother asking him form where he gets them....
"main aam khata hoon..ped ginne mein mujhe koi shauk nahin hai"

As for buying them from IW or any other places...please retrun them back if you can and try ur luck to hunt down this version only !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 2:29 am 

And one more thing mrig. Its very easy to detect the Bad guys out !...

Using a Computer :- Pop the dvd in ur DVD rom and play it using PowerDVD...

Go to the configuration in your PowerDVD (listed in this thread)
http://www.zulm.net/cgi-bin....;t=3783

and go to your Video settings
and then go to the advanced Tab

There change the display to Force-weave and then watch your DVD... If you get combing artifacts.. then u have the $hit dvd with u... else you have the progressive version with you.

With your stand alone DVd player :- Pause the movie at some arbitrary time instant. Then advance the frames step by step... so that 1 sec time interval has elapsed... In doing so if you geta count of 24 then your DVD is progressive else you have teh $hit dvd with you !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 5:23 pm 

Yesterday, I got a copy of the new batch of 'Aradhana' DVDs by EVP. The print is great, a little too bright in places but the sound is very good. The only horrendous thing about is are the subtitles for two reasons - one, they are very bad literal translations and appear two seconds AFTER they have been said - so it looks as if the next character is saying it! They have also been screen-rendered very badly - everytime a subtitle came up, the entire picture increased in brightness. This was totally unacceptable and I literally got a headache after a few minutes. I only hope EVP for Kashmir ki Kali is not this sub-standard. Any idea if the older version was any better?