It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:47 am 

bunticlick wrote:
Hi Folks,
is the Yash Raj DVD of Sangam any good?
Has somebody compared it to the shemaroo disk.
Wich is to prefer?
Thanx Thomas

Bunti dude! It will be WITCH OF THE EAST lol. just reminding humbly to fix your title please! thnx

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:57 am 

NewDeep wrote:
rana wrote:
Sangam definitely had two intermissions back in 1964 when it released. It was one of my first few films and definitely first colored film that I saw. Can't forget that it had two intermissions. Three shows daily (because of film length) instead of 4 that we all were accustomed to.
True -- my middle-aged cousins all remember this.

While scanning my Sangam VHS, it does have "First Intermission" scene proving that there were more than one intermissions. (But, VHS has Esquire logo where 2nd intermission was supposed to be).
YRF DVD or Shemaroo DVD has no Intermission shots.

Bunticlick: As reported earlier, Shemaroo DVD is miles ahead of YRF DVD in PQ but is a much shorter version.
For completeness sake, it's Esquire VHS that's good 10 min longer than YRF DVD that itself is 26 min longer than Shemaroo DVD.

As I said elsewhere, by cutting you end up with different plot. Sympathies switch etc.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:05 am 

rana wrote:
NewDeep wrote:
rana wrote:
Sangam definitely had two intermissions back in 1964 when it released. It was one of my first few films and definitely first colored film that I saw. Can't forget that it had two intermissions. Three shows daily (because of film length) instead of 4 that we all were accustomed to.

While scanning my Sangam VHS, it does have "First Intermission" scene proving that there were more than one intermissions. (But, VHS has Esquire logo where 2nd intermission was supposed to be).

Bunticlick: As reported earlier, Shemaroo DVD is miles ahead of YRF DVD in PQ but is a much shorter version.
For completeness sake, it's Esquire VHS that's good 10 min longer than YRF DVD that itself is 26 min longer than Shemaroo DVD.

As I said elsewhere, by cutting you end up with different plot. Sympathies switch etc.

RANA SAHAB, YOUR IMMENSE RESOURCES AND DEDICATION IS WORTH 100 SALUTES!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:13 pm 

rana wrote:
NewDeep wrote:
rana wrote:

Could you please elaborate on full length, extra, 26+10 minutes, extras to shemaroo?
thnx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:23 pm 

Zoran009 wrote:
rana wrote:

Could you please elaborate on full length, extra, 26+10 minutes, extras to shemaroo?
thnx

Sure I will but let me review it one more time A-Z.

Many of the discrepancies and differences I have mentioned in various posts and it looks like I can very well account for almost full 238 min version by joining existing video-audio and audio only segments.
I'll summarize all this in my next post.

---------------
BTW, I google searched for "Mera Prem Patra" song and one link looked promising as it said, "Extended version". It was over 8 min. But, it turned out to be YRF DVD version that included prefix to that song . Part 2 that's about 90 sec on YRF, was not included in Youtube clip. That 90 sec portion is 108 sec in Esq VHS. So, in all it's total of 10 min and still main Lata version missing.
http://www.clip-arabe.com/clip-ArbctJMkWrw.html

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:35 pm 

Sangam Run Time Differences:

YRF DVD, Esquire VHS and Shemaroo DVD, all are 4% speed up.

Eventhough Shemaroo DVD (187 min video, 195 min film) has the best PQ, it's heavily cut. 36-38 min from the 1974 version that itself was cut by 6 min from the orig 1964 version of 238 min.

YRF DVD is 213 min video, 222 min film and is just 10 min shorter than 1974 version of 232 min.

Esquire VHS is totally uncut version of 1974 release. 223 min video, 232 min film. But, PQ is the worst of all three versions (Orig PAL VHS may be better ??)

YRF DVD Run Time vs Esq VHS Run Time:

Upto YRF DVD time counter @ 5 min, it's shorter by 4 min 16 sec (5:00 on YRF is 9:16 in VHS). Missing is most of starting credits (Europe scenes in the background) and some Sunder Gopal Radha childhood play/ fight scenes.

From 5 min YRF DVD counter till 60 min, just a few sec here and there but totaling to 74 sec.
Only noticeable dialog was scene transition "Achha Main Customs Ho Ke Aata Hoon (10 sec)".

From 60 min to 87 min: YRF shorter by 26 sec where Sunder goes on a sortie mission till it's crash.

From 87 to 115 min: YRF shorter by 73 sec. Just a few secs here and there. No noticeable diff.

From 115 to 135 min: YRF shorter by 40 sec. (Europe scenes). No noticeable diff.

From 135 to 156 min: YRF shorter by 67 sec. Just a few secs here and there. No noticeable diff. ("When Gopal arrives in Europe, Sunder keeps sending him on a wild goose chase" cut by 33 sec).

From 156 to 213 min: YRF shorter by 48 sec. Just a few secs here and there. No noticeable diff.

Diff = (256 + 74 + 26 + 73 + 40 + 67 + 48) sec = 584 sec = 9 min 44 sec.

(213 min) YRF + (9 min 44 sec) extra in VHS = 222 min 45 sec video = 232 min film time, 1974 version.

Possible missing scenes from 1964 version that was 238 min:
(Full 238 min and a few sec can be accounted for by comparing songs audio and what's in video. See my post in next pages dated around Dec 18, 2007)

1) Mukesh sung version from O Mere Sanam song with these lyrics (Aprox 1 min):
Quote:
http://www.hindilyrix.com/songs/get_son ... sanam.html
--MALE--
Sunte hain pyaar ki duniya mein
Do dil mushkil se samaate hain
Kya gair vahan apnon tak ke
Saaye bhi na aane paate hain - 2
Humne aakhir kya dekh liya
Kya baat hai kyoon hairaan hain hum
Ek dil ke do armaan hain hum
O mere sanam, o mere sanam

This verse sure was in 1964 version when I saw Sangam first. A Nitin Mukesh concert video exists.

2) Lata version of "Ye Mera Prem Patra" song (3 min aprox): In YRF DVD as well as in Esq VHS, this Part 2 song does have Rafi Lata duet for about 110 sec, but the full Lata version, I think, did exist. At least, it was in orig LP releases. I'm not sure if it really was in the film in 1964 ??

3) They never showed what happened to Sunder's father (servant) and why did Gopal feel so obliged to Sunder ?? Perhaps it was Gopal's promise/ consolation at Sunder's dad's death ??

4) There were rumors, in 1964, that "Dost Dost Na Raha" song is too long and draging and "has been cut"/ "will be cut" somewhat ?? Perhaps there was a longer version of this song when Sunder's Military buddy sings it initially ??

----------------------------------------------------------
Deleted by Censors ?? There also were reports of a Vyjantimala in mud escene that the censors didn't allow. (This will not be in 238 min censor passed version).

Last edited by rana on Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:29 am, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:41 pm 

Posted Summary in above post and transferred the contents of that post here:

I found an intersting situation that needs something to be deleted from Sangam, IMHO. With regard to that, I pose a question to us zulmis:

Sunder's death is announced (must be Oct 1962 India-China war), Gopal receives medal for Sunder's bravery at Republic Day parade (must be Jan 26, 1963).
With Gopal Radha inner feelings burst open, both families always looking forward to Radha-Gopal marriage, how long do you think it took Sunder appearing back, that in the time, Radha Gopal (or their parents) didn't even propose. ??

I'd say no more than 1-2 months after award ceremony or 4 months max, and that's already too long, after Sunder's death news ??

Even if you consider Sunder as family member (not justified) then max 12 months from date of death (Oct 1963), that's the latest date for Gopal Radha wedding ??

All Sangam fans, what do you think ??

--------------------
P.S.: Don't look for answers in Sangam. Just give your opinion, what's the maximum time that passed between when Sunder's death announced and when his news of being alive is conveyed ??

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:29 pm 

rana wrote:

2) Lata version of "Ye Mera Prem Patra" song (3 min aprox): In YRF DVD as well as in Esq VHS, this Part 2 song does have Rafi Lata duet for about 110 sec, but the full Lata version, I think, did exist. At least, it was in orig LP releases. I'm not sure if it really was in the film in 1964 ??

Interesting - I have the LP of sangam - but it does not have the Lata version on it! Ranaji - do you also have the LP - could you check your copy?

The version I have has the O Mere Sanam picture of Raj Kapoor and Vyjayanthimala and a couple of other pics on the front cover.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:19 am 

Muz wrote:
rana wrote:

Interesting - I have the LP of sangam - but it does not have the Lata version on it! Ranaji - do you also have the LP - could you check your copy?

The version I have has the O Mere Sanam picture of Raj Kapoor and Vyjayanthimala and a couple of other pics on the front cover.

I don't have the orig 1964 release Sangam LP (Our first LP purchase was in 1966 - Gumrah). Is yours the Orig 1964 release ??
I do remember very distinctly listening to Lata solo version on radio many times. Even in Binaca Geetmala, Lata version was played sometimes and Rafi version sometimes. BTW, Lata said, in one of her Radio Programs that during one of the gatherings Raj Kapoor quitely played the Rafi song and it caught everybody's eye, which film this sweet song was it from. Lata asked if she too could record the song and be included in the film. BTW, now I remember one Vyjantimala scene very distinctly from this song that's not in the 1974 version. So, I must have seen this Lata version in the theater as well.

Also, I've heard the Mukesh verse from "O Mere Sanam" on one of my friends PC downloads. Is it in your LP ??

BTW, I'd like like your comment on your opinion of time elapsed between RK death announcement and him being found alive, as per the plot ??

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:00 am 

Rana bhaii! If you can explain how sarook went inside fire to save shanti priya? I;ll help you with Sunder's dilema lol?

Also in aaja nachle, where did madhuri get dancers/musicians in first aaja nachle performance of her self? :lol: :? My kids have been asking me? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:40 pm 

Zoran009 wrote:
Rana bhaii! If you can explain how sarook went inside fire to save shanti priya? I;ll help you with Sunder's dilema lol?

Also in aaja nachle, where did madhuri get dancers/musicians in first aaja nachle performance of her self? :lol: :? My kids have been asking me? :lol:

But, they are no Raj Kapoor or K A Abbas. You don't expect errors from K A Abbas or Raj Kapoor.

As I said, as per situation where Gopal and Radha and their families all were eager to see Gopal Radha wedding, a time of 3-4 months is proper for them to have wed, after Sunder's death announcement. Recall, it was death announcement and not untraceable announcement.
When Sunder comes back, Sunder tells them (Radha-Gopal) that it was Radha's letter that kept him alive in coma for 2 Yrs. Can two Yrs be justified ??

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:02 pm 

rana wrote:
Muz wrote:
rana wrote:

I don't have the orig 1964 release Sangam LP (Our first LP purchase was in 1966 - Gumrah). Is yours the Orig 1964 release ??
I do remember very distinctly listening to Lata solo version on radio many times. Even in Binaca Geetmala, Lata version was played sometimes and Rafi version sometimes. BTW, Lata said, in one of her Radio Programs that during one of the gatherings Raj Kapoor quitely played the Rafi song and it caught everybody's eye, which film this sweet song was it from. Lata asked if she too could record the song and be included in the film. BTW, now I remember one Vyjantimala scene very distinctly from this song that's not in the 1974 version. So, I must have seen this Lata version in the theater as well.

Also, I've heard the Mukesh verse from "O Mere Sanam" on one of my friends PC downloads. Is it in your LP ??

BTW, I'd like like your comment on your opinion of time elapsed between RK death announcement and him being found alive, as per the plot ??

Rana bhai - yes mine is the original release. Actually I just listened to it and discovered that the LP has the original lyrics sheet in it. I have scanned it and will e-mail it to you (PM me your address) or I can send it to Ali and hopefully he can add it to this thread. It is in Hindi - I cannot read Hindi so I would be grateful if anyone could tell me if it is just the song lyrics or perhaps additional info. I have also scanned the back cover of the LP also that shows that Yeh Mera Prem Patra is a Rafi solo. The song basically fades out just before the final musical interlude. O Mere sanam is indeed the full version with the extra verse by Mukesh and extra music (it sounded great listening to the whole thing!)

With regards to the timing of the wedding ... it's difficult. We do know from the film that a significant amount of time has passed since the news of Sundar's death as the lead up to the 'Yeh Mera Prem Patra' song shows time passing through nature. I cannot remember if they showed the changing seasons but I have always got the impression that there was a significant amount of time elapsed to allow Radha and Gopal's romance to re-kindle! :) I do believe that in those days they would have waited a while ... I could not put my finger on how long though!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:24 am 
Site Admin

Thanks to Muz, here are the scans - they are quite large in size;

http://www.zulm.net/images5/sargam/Sangam%201.jpg

http://www.zulm.net/images5/sargam/Sangam%202.jpg

http://www.zulm.net/images5/sargam/Sangam%203.jpg

Ali

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:32 am 

ali wrote:

Thanks Ali bhai for posting these!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:10 pm 

Muz wrote:
Rana bhai - yes mine is the original release. Actually I just listened to it and discovered that the LP has the original lyrics sheet in it. I have scanned it and will e-mail it to you (PM me your address) or I can send it to Ali and hopefully he can add it to this thread. It is in Hindi - I cannot read Hindi so I would be grateful if anyone could tell me if it is just the song lyrics or perhaps additional info. I have also scanned the back cover of the LP also that shows that Yeh Mera Prem Patra is a Rafi solo. The song basically fades out just before the final musical interlude. O Mere sanam is indeed the full version with the extra verse by Mukesh and extra music (it sounded great listening to the whole thing!)

Interesting discussion.

Muz: Is there any way to digitize full version of "O Mere Sanam" and email/upload that MP3? I had been looking for this full version for last 10 years, bought 3-4 CDs of Sangam and also downloaded this song from which ever site it was available, but none of them had Mukesh verse.
Thanks in advance.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next