It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:25 pm

All times are UTC

Would you be in interested in purchasing / crowdfunding a DVD of Kaul?
Poll ended at Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:28 am
Yes, I'd want a good DVD and don't mind paying the suggested cost. 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
No, I'd rather watch it on online streaming. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I have no interest in this movie at all. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:28 am 

Hello all,
I realize this forum is mostly dedicated to Bollywood releases, but I am hoping that at least some of you will be interested in this project. I usually post on the blu-ray.com forums (username ravenus), but from time to time I lurk on Zulm and I know that there are regulars here that also post on the blu-ray forums India section.
Anyway, this is about a home video (DVD) release project I am undertaking for a 2016 Marathi experimental film Kaul - A Calling. It is expected to be released sometime in June-July.

Kaul is the debut feature of the brilliant Aadish Keluskar. It is a film with a dark textured visual scheme and a brilliantly conceived soundscape intrinsic to its design. It deserves a professionally authored home video release that does justice to the film-makers' intentions. My idea is to have:
1) Best possible DVD video encode of the feature film with a high bitrate 5.1 DTS track (backup Dolby Digital 5.1), and optional English subtitles.
2) Include some of Aadish's previous short films (specifically Zero by Zero and I Love You Too.
3) Video interview(s) with the film-makers discussing the conception and making of Kaul etc.
4) All-region DVD with NTSC standard for universal playback.
5) NO logos / watermarks during the film, this was one of the big reasons I did not want the film to come out on some commercial Indian label. If possible, I will also see about removing any smoking / drinking disclaimers other than those that may be directly baked into the source files.

LINK TO FILM TRAILER ON YOUTUBE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsR8pclAW1Y

I am already in the process of facilitating a limited edition DVD run that will be available at selected outlets, and it is planned to have a pre-order page as well. I'd like to get a gauge of how much interest there is for such a product. So my question to you all is, how many of you would be willing to shell out approximately 300-400rs for a properly produced DVD of this modern classic (or let us say about 15$ if you're out of India and need it to be shipped to you)? Or would you just prefer to watch it on some streaming / online platform? Please answer the poll created in this thread.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:31 am 

I am also copy-pasting the relevant project updates I have posted on the blu-ray.com forums thus far:

Update 1 (28/02/18):
Update: It's too early to name names, but just in case you think this project is in slumber, I can say that I have a feasible estimate for the financial outlay of the project and at this stage I need to finalize the arrangement with the producer before I make a formal announcement. I will most likely try to have a pre-order scheme so people can place their orders prior to the replication and I will have a more concrete picture of the actual demand.
I am also trying to see about including a limited edition booklet with critical essay, director's statement and some other stuff.
PS: There was also discussion of a BD-R but considering the views expressed by most people on this forum (including myself) when Eagle was releasing movies on BD-R, I doubt there will be a sufficient demand for that.

Update 2 (05/03/18):
Recently I wrote to (through his agent) a prominent British dark fantasy author and film critic, who has frequently provided written / video essays for releases by Arrow and other boutique labels (primarily in the horror and giallo segments, some of you may have already guessed the name), and requested him to look at and provide a written critical appreciation of Kaul that can be incorporated in a booklet for the intended DVD release. It was a total shot in the dark, but a couple days later I got a mail from the man himself. He has in principle agreed to look at the film to decide about providing the requested essay. With the producer's permission I will be arranging to send him a screener disc.
This may take a couple of months because he is tied up with other projects at the moment, but I think that should sync well with the time required to put together the other materials, encode and author the master disc, and prepare for the replication.

Update 3 (18/03/18):
Yesterday I had a thoroughly enjoyable meeting with the gentleman that will be supervising the DVD authoring and also providing necessary support for getting the replication and packaging done. It's a fantastic thing when you meet people who are on the same page as you and are helping because they want to do something that stands apart from the low standard that so many Indian video labels fall prey to (which is not entirely their fault, there is a pervasive lack of interest, right from the film-makers, who are not bothered with the release quality once they have taken licensing fee to the consumers who are price-conscious to the extreme and don't want to spend on quality products).
Apart from looking over the terms of the draft agreement to take care of the legal and financial angles of the project, we discussed the requirements of source materials for preparing encodes of the feature films and extras (the master is expected to be prepared from the original DPX files, and it is my aim to have director / DoP approved transfer). We also discussed the tentative framework of the menu (we want to have a simple but classy menu, similar to the standards of Criterion / Eureka).
I am also contacting friends involved with commercial art / graphic design who may be capable of designing the DVD cover (front+back), disc art and booklet / leaflet. In case anyone here is interested and based in Mumbai send me a PM so we can discuss further.