It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 7:53 pm 

:O

An Indian song is currently leading BBC World's Poll for the World's Top Ten Songs of all time!!!! This unbelievable feat is due to the mass number of online voters from India who have voted for 'Rakkamma Kaiyya Thattu' from the film 'Thalapathi' starring Rajnikanth and Shobhana. It is a Tamil film released in the early 1990s and directed by Mani Rathnam. Music was by Illayaraja.

The results will be decided and broadcast live to the world on December 21st. The Indian song is in the lead, but angry British voters have been almost crashing BBC's website by voting for regular hits such as The Beatles 'Yesterday' and 'Bohemian Rhapsody' by Queen.

---

GUYS, we have GOT TO make this song win!! Vote now, and send the URL to everyone so that they can vote too!! And remember to vote repeatedly!!

Go here :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/us/features/topten/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:37 pm 

Hey, Kabir, how were the songs chosen? Did the BBC select some songs that people could vote for or did people suggest what songs to put on the list? I find it kind of weird that a 10 year old Tamil song would make it to the top of this vote. It was popular when it came out, but I don't think it is popular now. I would have expected Chaiyya Chaiyya to be higher on the list, as it is still pretty popular.

Edited By DragunR2 on 1038350340

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:43 pm 

I suppose the songs were all pre-chosen by some sort of nominating body. On that BBC page, it indicates that around 1200 songs were nominated. I think that the reason this song made it is because of the large numbers of Tamil film lovers around the world voting for it. When the vote started it had a minor lead, but Indians the world over have now joined in and are voting for it even if they havent heard it before!

Its NOT the best song on the list, obviously, but its very catchy. I would place anything by Rahman in recent years above it, but it has a nice melody that flows from danceable into a classical tune at the end.

VOTE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:50 pm 

remember that article that i had posted a while ago about Amitabh?

where it said to the effect that ONLY indians would waste their time enterting polls like this...

its' being proven here... :laugh:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 12:38 am 

Wow, this is cool. I'd rather hear Chaiyya Chaiyya up there, but this isnt a bad choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:58 pm 

The song is not that great... I rather have Chaiyya Chaiyya or Beatles for that matter. Anyway internet polls are unrealible..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 9:43 pm 

Guys, I think the strangest thing about this poll is that Bankim Chandra Chatterjee's 'Vande Mataram' is in the top 5, is ahead of 'Stairway to heaven' by Led Zeppelin and ''Yesterday" by the beatles. What the hell is going on? It seems the BBC are very serious about this poll and calls it the 'greatest music poll' in their decades long existence. Are they mad? If Rakkamma Kaiya Thattu actually wins, I think they'll find some way to reverse it and put another song at the top and THEN announce it. Theyre never gonna let it win. What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 11:03 pm 

the same way they were dead serious when they had the "greatest star of the millenium" poll....instead it turned into a joke as ab won :) same happening here :oo: