It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:35 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 9:11 pm 

I remember a discussion about this DVD and its two different versions a while back in the old zulmi forum. And as far as i remember, most zulmies voted for the B4U/Eros DVD of Gupt to be superior than the DEI/EROS DVD. I need to know more clearly what makes the B4U/Eros one better than the DEI/Eros one?
Thanks in Advance people :)

Edited By DVD Collector on Aug. 02 2002 at 03:02

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 9:24 pm 

* Original Aspect Ratio, not cropped
* Very good video
* Amazing 5.1
* Not a flipper

Previewed by Ali : Gupt DVD Preview

Edited By urbanlegend on Feb. 08 2002 at 16:26

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2002 12:03 am 
Site Admin

To add to that I think a later re-issue of Eros/DEI DVD was single dual layered disc instead of the flipper (double sided single layered) disc. But the picture is much better on the Eros/B4U DVD – especially in colour rendition. The biggest plus for the B4U DVD is original aspect ratio (as apposed the DEI cropped 1.85 ratio) which shows the brilliant cinematography in Gupt.

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2002 9:23 pm 

Hi Ali.

GUPT EROS-DEI vs EROS-B4U picture qualirty comparison issue has come up quite a few times but has never been resolved due to accessibility of both versions together. EROS-B4U version may have excellent colors, but is the DVD in FILM mode ?? IF EROS-DEI is "Film mode" and "EROS-B4U" is in video mode, then on high res. systems, Film mode DVD will win. EROS-DEI GUPT is regular DEI standard print.

Rana

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2002 11:13 pm 

I have this dvd by EROS/B4U. And it is not film based although it looks better than most of the EROS dvd’s. I don’t have EROS/DEI dvd, so I can’t comment about the quality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 2:37 am 

THIS IS PROBABLY ONE OF THE BEST DVDS MADE BY EROS - THE 5.1 TRACK IS ABSOULUTELY AWESOME!!

:DD: :DD:

IT IS VERY HARD TO BELEIVE THAT EROS ACTUALLY MADE THIS DVD :0 :0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 11:33 am 
Site Admin

To settle Arsh curiosity for once and for all he has sent me screen shots of DEI mastered Gupt and I've captured the equivalent shots from the B4U DVD;

Neither DVD particularly over shines the other. DEI has cropped video with a slight squish! and slightly duller colours. Noise reduction is in excess reducing sharpness. Video is darker overall and shows less detail then the B4U DVD. The B4U is fuller aspect ratio but colours are over saturated – in particular the reds. Video looks sharper and more detailed especially on darker scenes. But this still has many video problems such as aliasing and compression. Arsh says the 5.1 sound is better on the DEI DVD.

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 6:40 pm 

Yes! i do say and insist, that DEI's 5.1 soundtrack is more dynamic and detailed, fuller too, with, a lot of .1 channel activity!

Eros sound is good too, if u dont have side by side comparison, on the same system, on the same player.

I compared both of them, audio video on same prog scan dvd changer and same surround system, back to back.

On video, i agree with ar compromise by DEI a major drawback!indeed.
but DEI picture is film based and looks better on prog scan dvd player, more like a film, with a tad of more 3 dimensionality.

DEI's colors might appear softer ,with compromised sharpness to a lot out there. but eros dvd color look unnatural, and muggy and oversaturated with a lot of edge enhancement to give it a pseudo sharp appearance.i would say very simillar to yrf dtph vs anamorhic..looks like watching through red filter!

Eros dvd shows a lot of grain, very bad corrupting and making picture ugly at various times, with too much, excessive dnr used by eros!

Sound u have to see and listen to believe!

With all pros and cons, i liked DEI's picture quality more to my taste and ofcourse, sound is winner all the ways!

I'll trade pros of dei picture quality and film mode transfer to eros maintained aspect ratio, oversaturated, muddy colors and a lot of dnr and edge enhancement.

I pick DEI version for myself, after giving due respect to eros version and due consideration.
For the rest of u all there, choice is urs! on less than optimal systems, and smaller picture tube tv, prob it wont matter!
choice is urs! pick, whatever u want!? if u have one, by eros stick with it, but !!? :baaa: ;)

Still, if u can get hold of both at same time, i would recomend a live comparison! :baaa: :vsneaky:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 1:36 pm 

Well-done Arsh bai. Even though I don’t have the DEI version of this movie I know how it is going to look on a progressive display like yours. You have settled this issue once for all.
If any body still thinks B4U is better than DEI I am ready to exchange my B4U copy.
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 4:31 pm 

Ganti! bro, don"t give it away, till u acquire DEI version, then spin them together, see and listen and then send the other away..IMHO!! Any body trying to do this should go through this SCIENTIFIC PROCESS!!
If u have a GOOD sound system, just spin that song in khandar, the last picture shot of manisha!! from that song, and just listen to the surrounds! what a how much u can hear? then do tell me?pls. :baaa:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 5:19 pm 

Obviously, it is well known now that DEI is not authorized to make or sell Gupt DVD. But, as always, market is always flooded with illegal versions. Gupt is no exception. During my trip to Toronto this weekend, I saw illegal copies (I am talking of all Films) by the dozens and rarely any legal ones. Mostly, the pirate (illegal) stuff is crap quality, but in this case Gupt (all DEI-EROS DVDs and a few genuine Shemaroo pirates) is top quality.

Rana

Edited By rana on July 29 2002 at 13:25

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 7:05 am 

Looks like this is one title I must own its two different versions. Anyhow, thanks for the extended review guys. :thumbs:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:34 am 

The Eros low-cost carboard-case-digipak-type dvd released in India recently (at Rs.49/-) has simply amazing 5.1 sound with propah separation. Wonder if it's based on Eros-B4U or Eros-DEI or is a new transfer altogether.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:45 am 

NewDeep wrote:
The Eros low-cost carboard-case-digipak-type dvd released in India recently (at Rs.49/-) has simply amazing 5.1 sound with propah separation. Wonder if it's based on Eros-B4U or Eros-DEI or is a new transfer altogether.

I bought that DVD last week. The video quality looks like that from B4U DVD.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:18 pm 

As well as Mohra, seems like Shemaroo have given Gupt an Anamorphic transfer too :shock: :

http://www.induna.com/1000003765-productdetails/

Last edited by sengh_15 on Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.