It is currently Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:47 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:39 pm
Posts: 2130
Thank you so much Rana ji for the last thread its really good to know these as this information is either forgotten or either isnt found anywhere?

Anyone else who would know it would be great to drop in!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2001 7:27 pm
Posts: 6044
First VHS ??
Hmmm!

Someone from UK or HongKong can answer that. I'm in Canada and Indian VHSs got here a lot after UK.I think, originally they were made in HongKong and straight for the UK market. My first experience with VHS movie watching was at my future in-laws home in Southall UK, in May 1980. VHSs had just become quite popular in UK at that time and VHS players' prices were sky-high in India. So, many were scheming, how to smuggle a VHS recorder to India ?? Like, use casing of a ghetto-blaster (transister radio of those days) and install/ hide a portable VHS recorder (remember those days, when there was something known as Portable VHS Recorder, that came in two pieces (AKAI).

Coming back to first VHS that I saw. It was QURBANI that I saw in May 1980 in Southall UK. And I recall very distinctly, Hum Tumhein Chaahte Hain Aise had the, now un-available, verse Koi Poocche Mera Iraada.

Then, it was sometime in the fall (Oct-Dec) 1980 that 'VHS player & 2 movies' were being rented in Canada, for $25 for 24 hours and the owner was at your doorstep to pickup the player & the tape, as 24 hours came to an end. My first 'player-movie' rental was SSS, perhaps Mughal-e-Azam. Plus he gave us SHOLAY for free rental as the print was bad. SHOLAY print was bad because good, meaning original, VHS had not released yet. (To recover my $25, a high price, I watched each film 3 times in those 24 hours :lol: LOL)

Conclusion: SHOLAY perhaps was not the very first VHS and QURBANI, if not the first, was among the first VHSs that appeared.

---------------------------

I'm interested in a more definitive answer to: Which Indian VHS Released First.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2001 3:26 pm
Posts: 2233
Location: Birmingham
This really is an interesting one...............but if Rana sahab doesn't know the answer, we're doomed!!!

I would guess Orson Video were one of the first companies to release VHS tapes? I'm not sure about that, just a feeling.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:39 pm
Posts: 2130
rana wrote:
First VHS ??
Hmmm!

Someone from UK or HongKong can answer that. I'm in Canada and Indian VHSs got here a lot after UK.I think, originally they were made in HongKong and straight for the UK market. My first experience with VHS movie watching was at my future in-laws home in Southall UK, in May 1980. VHSs had just become quite popular in UK at that time and VHS players' prices were sky-high in India. So, many were scheming, how to smuggle a VHS recorder to India ?? Like, use casing of a ghetto-blaster (transister radio of those days) and install/ hide a portable VHS recorder (remember those days, when there was something known as Portable VHS Recorder, that came in two pieces (AKAI).

Coming back to first VHS that I saw. It was QURBANI that I saw in May 1980 in Southall UK. And I recall very distinctly, Hum Tumhein Chaahte Hain Aise had the, now un-available, verse Koi Poocche Mera Iraada.

Then, it was sometime in the fall (Oct-Dec) 1980 that 'VHS player & 2 movies' were being rented in Canada, for $25 for 24 hours and the owner was at your doorstep to pickup the player & the tape, as 24 hours came to an end. My first 'player-movie' rental was SSS, perhaps Mughal-e-Azam. Plus he gave us SHOLAY for free rental as the print was bad. SHOLAY print was bad because good, meaning original, VHS had not released yet. (To recover my $25, a high price, I watched each film 3 times in those 24 hours :lol: LOL)

Conclusion: SHOLAY perhaps was not the very first VHS and QURBANI, if not the first, was among the first VHSs that appeared.

---------------------------

I'm interested in a more definitive answer to: Which Indian VHS Released First.



Thanks Rana for such an interesting post! Actually on speaking around to some UK people, one said that actually the VHS period started around 1979 and this person said the first film they saw in 1979 was Hera Pheri (which I am guessing was a new release at the time)

They also said that most of these VHS's then were all pirated, most didn't even have a proper labelled manufacturer. And in them days VHS's only had a time limit of 2 hours, in which they would split the film on 2 or maybe 3 cassettes.

So now the mystery is, what is that first film?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2001 7:27 pm
Posts: 6044
bhaskar wrote:
This really is an interesting one...............but if Rana doesn't know the answer, we're doomed!!!


Well, I do have a definitive answer (had it for a few days) to the original question you posed. I'll name the first VHS for the question you asked, but not to the question you intended.

Quote:
https://www.primermagazine.com/2009/fie ... sed-on-vhs
The first theatrical film ever released to the public on VHS was the South Korean drama, The Young Teacher, in 1976.

David • 11 years ago

The first commercially available VHS was "The Devil in Miss Jones", a XXX classic that was sold to theater patrons as they left the adult cinemas in New York and later California in 1976. Retail price was $95. For the first couple of years, the only blank videotape available was from VCX, who had a TDK exclusive contract. The biggest billboard on Times Square advertised TDK blank cassettes, available only from VCX. VCX was the original adult company, founded in the early 1960's by Norm Arno. Their business of selling 8mm"loops" morfed into big budget productions and theatrical licensing in the 70's.

The first three American flicks released on VHS? The Sound of Music, Patton, and M*A*S*H (at an average retail cost of $50-$70, each).


Avatar
Call me Snake • 5 years ago

$60 a pop? damn even if that is adjusted for inflation thats crazy

Avatar
Thomas Sundbäck • 4 years ago • edited

Interesting. So "The Devil in Miss Jones" was the first commercially available VHS in 1976. So, as "The Young Teacher" was the first "official" / mainstream release on VHS that same year, wonder if Miss Jones preceded it (by days/months etc)? Then the groundbreaking "first" here would've been by a porn flick.


Yes, I know your intended question was for the first Bollywood/ Indian/ Hindi-Urdu VHS & I have no answer to that.
So, now we are doomed as you correct the thread title & the Question. :lol: :(

---------------------------------------
BTW, in 1981 as I bought a VCR, I did buy some 30-50 original Esquire VHSs from a rental company, going out of business as he could not compete with pirated VHS rentals. I still have those orig Esquire VHSs and can ID/ recognoze them. Most likely, first official Esquire VHS will be among those VHSs.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2001 3:26 pm
Posts: 2233
Location: Birmingham
I have just picked up a whole load of VHS - unfortunately it is more of the late 80s and early 90s stuff, but still some great rare finds in there! A few Esquire releases which I'm going to keep hold of!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:39 pm
Posts: 2130
rana wrote:
BTW, in 1981 as I bought a VCR, I did buy some 30-50 original Esquire VHSs from a rental company, going out of business as he could not compete with pirated VHS rentals. I still have those orig Esquire VHSs and can ID/ recognoze them. Most likely, first official Esquire VHS will be among those VHSs.


I think if there was some way or some source of contact through to this person at Esquire, I think that would put out the official record for the first original VHS produced


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:08 am
Posts: 441
Please tell me someone got the longer version of Shaan(1980)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2001 7:27 pm
Posts: 6044
Sageer wrote:
Please tell me someone got the longer version of Shaan(1980)

Check
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4069&p=108641&hilit=shaan#p108641


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:08 am
Posts: 441
Rana if you record it onto dvd, list it on ebay & I'll buy it from you


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2001 7:27 pm
Posts: 6044
sengh_15 wrote:
rana wrote:
BTW, in 1981 as I bought a VCR, I did buy some 30-50 original Esquire VHSs from a rental company, going out of business as he could not compete with pirated VHS rentals. I still have those orig Esquire VHSs and can ID/ recognoze them. Most likely, first official Esquire VHS will be among those VHSs.


I think if there was some way or some source of contact through to this person at Esquire, I think that would put out the official record for the first original VHS produced


Hmmm! Good Idea. Let's see who can approach them and if they remember & if they will respond ?? Since beginning, Esquire Sole Agents for Canada & perhaps for US as well, were famous TV personality Shaan Chandrashekhar - Jaya Chndrashekhar (Gemini Films & Studios family) that have been running South Asian TV channel from Toronto, since before the advent of VHS.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2001 7:27 pm
Posts: 6044
Sageer wrote:
Rana if you record it onto dvd, list it on ebay & I'll buy it from you

Check your PM, Sageer.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:08 am
Posts: 441
rana wrote:
Sageer wrote:
Rana if you record it onto dvd, list it on ebay & I'll buy it from you

Check your PM, Sageer.

Thanks rana i messaged you in pm


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group