It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:09 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2002 5:58 pm
Posts: 94
The nick Ragz talks about the problem with the poor quality of public domain films in the
previous posting here on the forum, and some noted the problem with finding quality
film sources for a restoration to be done to Classic indian films.
It seems like there is no properly functioning Film Archive in India, due to the shortage of
high quality transfers of old classical black and white films ?
Maybe, if there's a will, a hunting for an adequately good film source could be done in film
archives around the World or among private collectors ?

I recently had the pleasure of watching the 1949 Bollywood Classic Mahal directed by Kamal
Amrohi. A noir melodrama Masterpiece with Ashok Kumar and Madhubala ......
BUT i watched it on this Eagle DVD -

Image

Image

OK, that sleeve and menu screen looks good BUT the Picture quality of this "transfer" was below
abominable with a blurred out logo from some ancient atrocity of a VHS or Video CD edition.
The audio in 5.1 mix was hissing and screeching and a torture for the ears.

That's a shame, because even though these obstacles the film manages to draw you into it's
Power with it's haunting story of doomed love and the magic qualities of it's soundtrack.

Image

Image

The Music by Khemchand Prakash, the Beautiful lyrics by Jarchavi Nakshab and the Lovely, just
Lovely singing in Natural voices by the legendary Rajkumari Dubey and Zohrabi Ambalewali,
both soon to be considered out of fashion by the new high pitched style of Lata Mangeshar, Lata
who also sings in this film and became a sensation.
'v
I was snared in this films strange hallucinatory Power and the Music piece i especially fell in love
with was played out during Ashok Kumar's visit to the Tawaif, the courtesans and Rajkumari Dubey
and Zohrabi Ambalewali sings the otherworldly beautiful Yeh raat phir na aayegi or Chun chun
Gunguruva baje jhumba (i'm not sure as i don't speak hindi) and this ethereal young dancer, who
i think was/is Sheila Naik performs the most haunting dance i've ever seen.
She's so exquisite with her mysterious aura and her hand movements

And then, there's the young Beauty Madhubala too

Image


So, as i have fallen in Love with this film - Do You Zulmis know if there exist a good DVD edition, or
even better a Bluray, of this great Classic somewhere in India or in the World ? Please ....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2001 3:26 pm
Posts: 2183
Location: Birmingham
There is an alternative print released by Friends - I don't think it is the same source, as it doesn't appear to have the blurring at the bottom of the screen like the screenshots you've posted, but it does have it's own ugly watermark in the middle of the screen instead. This one has been ripped and put onto Youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syFpm1HO6gY

There also appears to be another print released by Tarang, you can see a clip here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=337btNN3S9g

And then another version with a Shemaroo logo (and the Friends logo) here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2E1S1cET-o

IT appears that there are three DVDs of this - the Eagle version which you have, a Friends version (http://www.induna.com/1000006710-productdetails/), and Shemaroo version: (http://www.induna.com/1000018975-productdetails/).

This is a very long shot.................but I seem to recall this was shown on TV in the UK around 25 years ago - if there is a chance that someone recorded it, that would probably be the best quality version.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2002 5:58 pm
Posts: 94
bhaskar wrote:
There is an alternative print released by Friends - I don't think it is the same source, as it doesn't appear to have the blurring at the bottom of the screen like the screenshots you've posted, but it does have it's own ugly watermark in the middle of the screen instead. This one has been ripped and put onto Youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syFpm1HO6gY

There also appears to be another print released by Tarang, you can see a clip here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=337btNN3S9g

And then another version with a Shemaroo logo (and the Friends logo) here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2E1S1cET-o

IT appears that there are three DVDs of this - the Eagle version which you have, a Friends version (http://www.induna.com/1000006710-productdetails/), and Shemaroo version: (http://www.induna.com/1000018975-productdetails/).

This is a very long shot.................but I seem to recall this was shown on TV in the UK around 25 years ago - if there is a chance that someone recorded it, that would probably be the best quality version.


Many thanks for that very informative reply. A Tragedy that no film sources 35 mm for restorations seems to exist for these old indian classics


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:15 pm
Posts: 446
Location: USA
HumAapkeHainKoun wrote:
bhaskar wrote:
There is an alternative print released by Friends - I don't think it is the same source, as it doesn't appear to have the blurring at the bottom of the screen like the screenshots you've posted, but it does have it's own ugly watermark in the middle of the screen instead. This one has been ripped and put onto Youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syFpm1HO6gY

There also appears to be another print released by Tarang, you can see a clip here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=337btNN3S9g

And then another version with a Shemaroo logo (and the Friends logo) here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2E1S1cET-o

IT appears that there are three DVDs of this - the Eagle version which you have, a Friends version (http://www.induna.com/1000006710-productdetails/), and Shemaroo version: (http://www.induna.com/1000018975-productdetails/).

This is a very long shot.................but I seem to recall this was shown on TV in the UK around 25 years ago - if there is a chance that someone recorded it, that would probably be the best quality version.


Many thanks for that very informative reply. A Tragedy that no film sources 35 mm for restorations seems to exist for these old indian classics

Is there not an Eros version out there somewhere


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:15 pm
Posts: 446
Location: USA
HumAapkeHainKoun wrote:
bhaskar wrote:
There is an alternative print released by Friends - I don't think it is the same source, as it doesn't appear to have the blurring at the bottom of the screen like the screenshots you've posted, but it does have it's own ugly watermark in the middle of the screen instead. This one has been ripped and put onto Youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syFpm1HO6gY

There also appears to be another print released by Tarang, you can see a clip here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=337btNN3S9g

And then another version with a Shemaroo logo (and the Friends logo) here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2E1S1cET-o

IT appears that there are three DVDs of this - the Eagle version which you have, a Friends version (http://www.induna.com/1000006710-productdetails/), and Shemaroo version: (http://www.induna.com/1000018975-productdetails/).

This is a very long shot.................but I seem to recall this was shown on TV in the UK around 25 years ago - if there is a chance that someone recorded it, that would probably be the best quality version.


Many thanks for that very informative reply. A Tragedy that no film sources 35 mm for restorations seems to exist for these old indian classics

Is there not an Eros version out there somewhere


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:13 pm
Posts: 1288
Excellent thread, guys. HumAapkeHainKaun, thanks a lot for these screenshots and an insight to such travesties that are being shaped in the name of DVDs.
This thread also brings light to the various versions of the film on DVD. It would be lovely to see which is worse than which version, as that is the only hierarchy and comparison that can be formed with DVDs of Indian vintage classics.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka38KgKf5_4
This is another version of Mahal, which is a result of cleaning up one of those editions of the film. Hence, bringing out clarity, sharpness and glorious detail. Not only that, but the frame rate too has been corrected, bringing the film to it's authentic speed.
Although it is just a home edition, it sure does run miles ahead of the commercial editions of the film.

The NFAI may or may not have a negative stored in their archives. One would wish that one of these companies do make use of the original beauty someday, and not some shit laden print that only deserves to remain in some ancient dent.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:13 pm
Posts: 1288
NFAI lists that their archived print runs for 158 minutes. Nearly 10-15 minutes longer than the DVDs that are floating around. Maybe this will see the light of day.

http://www.nfaipune.gov.in/asp_files/se ... p?srno=175


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2002 5:58 pm
Posts: 94
Ragz wrote:
NFAI lists that their archived print runs for 158 minutes. Nearly 10-15 minutes longer than the DVDs that are floating around. Maybe this will see the light of day.

http://www.nfaipune.gov.in/asp_files/se ... p?srno=175


There seems to be plenty of DVD releases of this film out there as you guys has mentioned. Friends, Tarang, Shemaroo, Eagle and maybe more,
and the ones from Youtube enthusiasts as the one Ragz linked to. Thanks a lot for this link as this Youtube version was a LOT better than my
Eagle atrocity.
Also, there are some British editions from Eros, Bollywood Entertainment/Bollywood films

Image Image

Image

and the last of these, the Bollywood Films 2005-2006 edition got some great Review, if you can trust the customer words at UK Amazon

Let's hope for a restoration of this film as it seems to have many fans from not just India but from all over the World. There's a universal
appeal to this film. Maybe some indian Scorsese will arise and get things moving with the restoration of indian film treasures


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group