It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:33 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:18 am 

Rajkapoor420 wrote:
With Netflix, ErosNow, Amazon Video, Scores of Indian channels on Dish, Internet videos, cricket going on all the time, there is so much to watch. I just try to enjoy as much as I can.
Thanks for reminding me about 3 Idiots DVD. I have it but never compared it with the Blu ray. What DEI DVDs are you missing in your collection?

Internet Content Quality :
I have doubts about internet content quality.
I wonder if it's the same quality as a 1080P Blu Ray, or a 480P Progressive DVD. Consider a 1080P content on-line (for a 25-50 GB Blu Ray) it shows as only 2-4 GB and when you D-load it, still in 1080P, it's even less. With so much data compression, is it still as good as Orig 25-50 GB Blu Ray or even as good as 480P Progressive DVD ??

Can anyone clarify this compression issue. (Sure, PQ is crisp and looks very good, but there must be some difference between 25 GB and the same material in less than 3 GB ??)
----------------------------------------------------------

Other on-line content issues: I wonder how long will it be free ?? EROS, PEN, Amazon, thousands of TV channels, youtube, have tons of content on-line. Is it free ?? Perhaps not for long. As it is already, since Yesterday, most of the programs that I used to watch on-line, now refuse access unless I register. They also ask for Provider and password. Perhaps it's just registering with e-mail and the program is free to watch. If this much now, one day they sure will start charging.

------------------------------------------------------------

BluRays/ DVDs of Bollywood films from other than Desi companies that are better than Desi versions:

There are many and from many different sources. It'll take effort from many zulm members to come up with the names of those BRs/ DVDs. We should have a separate thread for those titles. I would say, anyone who comes up with 10 such names, to start with, should start the thread.

Dum Maaro Dum
Three Idiots
Sholay
Dhool Ka Phool

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:58 pm 

Muz,
Yes, that was my intent too. But I am moving away from DVDs. I’m getting mostly Blu rays these days. Only DVDs which I can view in my system are DEIs or some made by non-Indian companies. I rip all my media to hard drives in MKV form. I use one 5 TB and one 4 TB as my main drives. These are connected directly to my Oppo Blu-ray player 103D. Everything goes through Oppo which upscales the signal and also allows me to zoom at different levels. I can watch a poor DVD at 50% zoom. I don’t think I’m going to get into fixing Indian DVDs. It will be very time consuming, if it’s doable at all. Nobody in my family wants to watch those old movies. Eventually I should back-up all my DVDs though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:19 pm 

Rana,
Compression is the key for streaming services. Here is a link to an article on AVS:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1469412/django-unchained-blu-ray-vs-itunes-vs-vudu-hdx
Internet is never going to be free. I don’t want it to be free. Anything, if offered free, is of either poor quality or illegal. I consider watermarked video as of inferior quality. I pay for all my services including Dish, Cable, Netflix, Amazon and ErosNow.
I think it is too late to make a list of DVDs by non Desi companies. No non-Indian company is going to release any Indian DVD anymore. A list for Blu-rays already exists. I’m going to check every DVD I have for my system. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:29 pm 

rana wrote:
Hi Anil,

DEI DVDs that I would like to have working orig code copies are:

1) ABHAY (version that I/ we have, does not play properly in the last 60-70 min. Does your copy still work in the 2nd layer ??)

2) Tumko Na Bhool Paayengay (I/ we have a repaired version that originated from stretched picture and converted to anamorphic. Not sure if it came back to orig DEI encoding/ PQ. The stretched picture DVD was still Progressive, though)
Wow! Finally got a fully working Orig Code copy of DEI Abhay. Thanks to 'brownboy05'.

brownboy05 found an old DVD 'rental/ store clearance' copy and surprisingly it worked all the way thru.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 3:38 am 

rana wrote:
rana wrote:
Hi Anil,

DEI DVDs that I would like to have working orig code copies are:

1) ABHAY (version that I/ we have, does not play properly in the last 60-70 min. Does your copy still work in the 2nd layer ??)

2) Tumko Na Bhool Paayengay (I/ we have a repaired version that originated from stretched picture and converted to anamorphic. Not sure if it came back to orig DEI encoding/ PQ. The stretched picture DVD was still Progressive, though)
Wow! Finally got a fully working Orig Code copy of DEI Abhay. Thanks to 'brownboy05'.

brownboy05 found an old DVD 'rental/ store clearance' copy and surprisingly it worked all the way thru.

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:08 am 

rana wrote:
rana wrote:
Most of the PEN titles that I wanted, initially I couldn't find them in the store. Looks like, PEN passed rights for non-performing titles to Moserbaer, for cheaper/ wholesale DVDs. I haven't checked any of these MB-PEN DVDs yet but will check later-on if MB retained PEN encoding or is it a new encoding Moserbaer standard as opposed to superior (marginally) PEN encodings.

I had found one title under PEN and also under Morerbaer-PEN logo. I bought both to check if MB retained PEN encoding. Here is my finding:

PEN original had 3-3 pattern (Pseudo-Progressive).

MB-PEN version is fully field blended.

Both versions are exact same length and both have the same PEN logo throughout in the picture.
Not much is different in PQ, but comparing carefully, PEN version is a tad better (obviously, due to Pseudo-Progressive encoding versus the field blended).

I expect the same result from other MB-PEN DVDs as compared to solo PEN DVDs.
:(

rana wrote:

Checked other "PEN" and "MB-PEN" DVDs and confirm my suspicion that MB-PEN DVDs are not as good as PEN DVDs.

The previous quotes are from 2015. 3-3 pattern DVD that I mentioned, I think it was Raaz (Babita). Can't recall names of other 1-2 DVDs that I had mentioned that all had inferior content in MB-PEN version as compared to solo PEN version.

Recently got 2 more titles that I got to compare MB-PEN vesion vs solo PEN. These are COOLIE and Mere Sanam. From these two, my finding is that MB-PEN versions are slightly inferior to solo PEN versions but the difference is not enough to justify buying/ seeking solo PEN versions. Moreover, some PEN DVDs in the beginning were excellent, mostly Pseudo Prog and good colors and sharpness. But later on, they too went the field averaging way, like most other Indian DVD companies that bring out good quality to establish business and then go the cheap way.

------------------------------------------------------------
PEN DVDS also discussed the following link:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12691&p=104087&hilit=mere+sanam#p104087

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3663&p=103183&hilit=seeta#p103183

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:28 am 

Found a PEN DVD of Rajnikant's Chandramukhi at my local library.
Print was OK, not that great as I was expecting. Looks like, like all other Indian DVD companies, PEN is no different and some are excellent prints and some are not.
One thing struck me though. It was a solo PEN DVD but the PEN logo indicates a "VCD" ?? Wonder if they just made a DVD out of their previously released VCD ?? :?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:17 am 

rana wrote:
It was a solo PEN DVD but the PEN logo indicates a "VCD" ?? Wonder if they just made a DVD out of their previously released VCD ?? :?
typo
:)