It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: AMRAPALI DVD
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:14 pm 

I'm consolidating previous discussion (selected/ relevant posts only) about Amrapali DVD, that is actually mixed up in a mixed up topic.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4355&hilit=Amrapali
In the next post I'll continue with discussion/ info.

Muz wrote:
Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 3:31 am
Amrapali - is a very good film. Vyjayanthimala performed some of her best classical dances in this movie. The story is about Amrapali who was a court dancer and she unknowingly enters in to a relationship with the arch enemy of the royal household that she dances for.
I found the movie to be very well made ... the dialogue was a bit difficult to understand as it is in pure Hindi - but I really liked the songs and sets.
I haven't seen it on DVD either - I'm desperate to get hold of it - where did you see it?
rana wrote:
Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2003
I found a print out of IW listing. It's not listed now.
BTW, as per my friend, FC Mehra films will be on BEI, sooner or later. SOHNI MAHIWAAL and AMRAPALI, both are FC Mehra films.
Rana[/color]
Muz wrote:
Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2003
Hi Rana
Could you let me know if the DVD version of Amrapali has the song 'Jao Re Jogi Tum Jao Re' in it? I have two versiond of this movie on VHS (by Esquire and GVI) and this song is missing from both versions ... however I read an article praising Vyjanthimala's dance to this song in the film!
Muz.
Quote:
Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2003
Not just that song that you were asking but a lot more is missing.

The CC (1966) shows it to be a 4005 meter long 35mm film in 16 reels. I think, (or as Shuman wants me to say is "I know", which I don't; may be some one who knows how long 4000m 35mm film should run, can confirm it??) this means a run time of 2 hour and 40 min ??.
Well, Amrapali in Shemaroo DVD is less than 2 hour run time (1 hr 59 min 24 sec). So, obviously a lot is missing. There are only 3 songs and the song that Muz was asking, there is no trace of it.

I remember seeing this film in theatre, when it was released. It was a long film, close to 3 hrs ??.

This film requires and deserves lots of search and restoration work. Let's hope, BEI can do that for us.

Rana

P.S.
BTW, Muz, how long are your 2 VHS versions??
Muz wrote:
The VHS versions that I have are both 2 hours long. The Esquire version is very bad quality and the speech is out of sync for most of the film. The GVI version has the same running time, is in sync, but has annoying adverts over the screen.

There are only three full songs in the film (Neel Gagan Ke Chhoan Mein, Tadap Yeh Din Raat Ki, Tumhe Yaad Karte Karte), a very badly cut down song (Nacho Gao Nacho) and two dances (one where Amrapali is in competition with another court dancer and one superb dance in a white dress near the end of the movie).

My father told me that he remembered seeing a longer version of the movie when it first released but I wasn't sure if he remembered correctly. Funnily enough I searched for this movie on the internet and found a US web-site selling a VHS version of the movie - the running time was 172 minutes.

I would still like a good quality version of this movie whilst I wait for the BEI release (who knows when that will be) - so I would be happy with the Shemaroo version ... for the time being. I'm really intrigued as to what has been cut from the movie.

I wonder if this version with lots of cuts was released for the international market :hmm:

The CD and LP has the song Jao Re Jogi Tum Jao Re and the opening of the song features Vyjayanthimala laughing - which led me to believe that the song must have been filmed. I figured that it might have been cut before the movie was released - although I couldn't figure out why. It's one of my favourite songs!
Muz.
rana wrote:
I read it in one of the threads long time ago, where they quoted Raj Kapoor as saying that once some portion of a film is cut, for whatever reason, it's disposed off quickly and permanently (sold for scrap/ Raddi) for lack of storage space. Amrapali didn't do as well as expected despite Vyjantimala's challege to Raj Kapoor and her best obvious efforts. Quite possible, that to fasten the pace of the film, producers must have trimmed the film and then with time, as this film was not in demand for theatrical projections, the film must have rotted with time and rotten portions of the film print discarded. Still, some old print, in someone's storage or basement may have more footage available. It's a matter of searching and bringing the producers 'on side' to restore this film and other such films.

In my opinion, for home video, longer the feature the better, no matter how boring it gets with slower pace. For theatrical projection, fast pace is a must.

By involving the Director for restoration, they can make a feature using available good source. And for those portions for which a good source couldn't be obtained, should be included in extras.

I saw this film in the first week when it was released and it was a 3 hour show including a 15 min mandatory Indian documentary. I liked the film and is my favourite.

Post subject: Re: AMRAPALI DVD
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:38 pm 

The above posts were before I had decisively found that 35mm Film run time was @ 90 ft/min.

Now the revised #s:

1966 CC shows 4005 meters, which is 146 min (2 hrs 26 min).

Shemaroo DVD is 119 min 25 sec. As it's 4% speed up, it's 124 min 30 sec film time.

Website
http://www.raaga.com/channels/hindi/album/H001645.html
lists following songs:

Jao Re Jogi [04:04] (Missing in Shemaroo DVD)

Tumhen Yaad Karte Karte [03:35] (It's in DVD)

Neel Gagan Ki Chhaon Mein [03:54] (It's in DVD)

Tadap Yeh Din Raat Ki [04:24] (It's in DVD)

Nacho Gao Nacho Dhoom Machao [05:15] (Missing in DVD)

White Dress Dance (Instrumental) [02:04] (It's in DVD)

124:30 plus 9:29 missing songs makes it 135 min.
Still, 11 min is un-accounted for.

Looks like, 2 full reels (10 min each) are lost. There is victory celebration scene, in DVD, where music goes on for 3-4 min and the song "Nacho Gao Nacho Dhoom Machao" must be part of it ??

---------------------------------
About other comment made in 2003 that BEI will release this DVD, obviously it never worked out. Among expected F C Mehra films, Sohni Mahiwal DVD was released by BEI, but before Amrapali could be converted to DVD, BEI went out of business. And now, FC Mehra is dead, I wonder if we'll see full version ever ??
A few of FC Mehra's films were released on DEI-EROS label as well.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:09 pm 

There's an ultra DVD as well. Is it any longer and better??

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:46 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW5i21WQles
this version is even shorter, with no PAL speedup. :(

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:36 am 

Yes, the restored version is up on Netflix now. Length is 1 hr 56 mins. Print is extremely good looking, and the sound is fair. Doesn't look like we'll ever get a version better and longer than this one. I was so happy to enjoy the songs with good quality.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:25 am 

rana wrote:
The above posts were before I had decisively found that 35mm Film run time was @ 90 ft/min.

Now the revised #s:

1966 CC shows 4005 meters, which is 146 min (2 hrs 26 min).

Shemaroo DVD is 119 min 25 sec. As it's 4% speed up, it's 124 min 30 sec film time.

Website
http://www.raaga.com/channels/hindi/album/H001645.html
lists following songs:

Jao Re Jogi [04:04] (Missing in Shemaroo DVD)

Tumhen Yaad Karte Karte [03:35] (It's in DVD)

Neel Gagan Ki Chhaon Mein [03:54] (It's in DVD)

Tadap Yeh Din Raat Ki [04:24] (It's in DVD)

Nacho Gao Nacho Dhoom Machao [05:15] (Missing in DVD)

White Dress Dance (Instrumental) [02:04] (It's in DVD)

124:30 plus 9:29 missing songs makes it 135 min.
Still, 11 min is un-accounted for.

Looks like, 2 full reels (10 min each) are lost. There is victory celebration scene, in DVD, where music goes on for 3-4 min and the song "Nacho Gao Nacho Dhoom Machao" must be part of it ??

---------------------------------
About other comment made in 2003 that BEI will release this DVD, obviously it never worked out. Among expected F C Mehra films, Sohni Mahiwal DVD was released by BEI, but before Amrapali could be converted to DVD, BEI went out of business. And now, FC Mehra is dead, I wonder if we'll see full version ever ??
A few of FC Mehra's films were released on DEI-EROS label as well.

Of the above mentioned songs,

1) Dance & Song Naacho Gaao, Dance portion is in there, but the song is missing. At least you know where was the placemrnt.

2) Jaao Re Jogi Tum Jaao Re is completely missing. But, a portion of audio is available in the link below. This BIOSCOPE link is a bit more than what's in audio record. This extra bit shows where the song was placed. It's a bit before 'Tadap Ye Din Raat Ki'. THe audio also shows that it's in this scene where Amrapali's friends come to know of Sunil Dutt - Amrapali romance. And the news comes out. This knowledge of romance, is referred later in the film when Amrapali is being questioned. Without this scene, there is no clue in the film that Sunil Dutt -Amrapali romance is open in public. So, ths scene must have been filmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97iKozksRvs&t=2382s

BTW, this Bioscope explains the movie very well. (Applies to other films too)