It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:07 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 2:54 am 

Just a few captures, if anyone hasn't seen this excellent DVD by DEI.

All caps were taken with Windvd 4.0. There are subtitles on every song, and are removable. One note, both discs in this 2-disc set have ads in the beginning that you HAVE to watch... to avoid this during future plays of this disc, set a Bookmark at the menu of the disc, or during one of the songs. This way, when you pop in the disc, just go to the bookmark and avoid the crappy ads. This works in Windvd, I have not gotten this to work with Powerdvd.

This DVD represents the standard that Indian dvd authors should be striving to meet. Perhaps in the future every movie will receive this treatment... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:stupid:

Edited By Chebji on 1036292109

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 4:18 am 

Chebji wrote:
This DVD represents the standard that Indian dvd authors should be striving to meet. Perhaps in the future every movie will receive this treatment...

Actually in my personal opinion, as good as the audio/video quality of this DVD is, I pray no company emulates this stupid DVD. What good is the quality if one has to suffer thru the stupid commercials and worst of all the self promotion crap of DEI. I know I may be in the minority here when I say, that I am glad DEI got shut down because their DVDs had become the most irritating ones to watch. To make matters worse, their policy of disabling all the player controls during the commercials, even the stop button for god's sake, was nothing short of the worst example of consumer exploitation. Why O' why do we Indians put up with such crap and actually commend such efforts.
I personally would recommend everybody to stay away from all DEI DVDs mastered over the past yr & half or so, the time period when DEI started on it's self destructive policy of putting looooooong self promoting ads. I have personally never understood why Indians have such a desire to put our own faces (names, logos) on our products. Remember, Gulshan Kumar & T. Series, with the limit of it all being on the VHS of the film 'Sangeet', wherein during a song a picture of Anuradha Paudwal was actually interposed into the actual film. Also we Indians must be the only consumers in the world who would put up with this crap. I remember when Paramount released the VHS tapes of the Indian Jones Series with a series of excellently produced Pepsi commercials, with Harrison Ford playing Indiana Jones in the commercials, there was such a backlash from the American consumers that till date no studio has ever tried to repeat that foolish move. Do keep in mind that this was not just any regular commercial but specially produced, with surround sound and all, commercials just for the VHS release. I personally liked the commercials so much that I bought VHS for just the commercials since I already had the films on Laser Disc.
In closing let me recommend to one and all here, do not buy this crap from DEI but rather go find a duplicate DVD of the same material, wherein you will get the same content without the ads. Personally my copy of MIssion Bollywood just lies in a corner because I don't have the patience to suffer thru 15 minutes of DEI crap to be able to just watch 1 five minute song that I may be in the mood for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 4:23 am 

I agree that ads have got to go, but I was more commenting on the picture and sound quality, which I personally think is sufficient enough for me that i can tolerate the ads in the beginning. My message was that authors should use the same great audio/visual quality in their transfers, minus the ads of course. The ads are annoying, yes, but the quality of the transfers are very good, so it's fine with me. So I would not go so far as to not buy any DEI dvds, as they have been the most consistent quality in terms of pic/audio. This is my opinion, of course! so sanjay i respect your opinion, and will respectfully disagree about boycotting dei altogether. :D

Edited By Chebji on 1036297549

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 5:32 am 

agree with sanjay, ads really annoying, it makes me feel like going back to vhs, where i have the control to fast forward. lets drop the dvd completely. or find duplicate dvd which has dei material, it's just that only eros couldn't copy their own titles which were once done correctly by dei, but i am sure pirates have their way of duplicating dvd without compromising in quality.

aa ab laut chalen!!! :stupid:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 7:06 am 

I remember the dvd for Love Ke Liye Kuch Bhi Karega. It was a really funny movie... Unfortunately, it had 10 whole minutes of ads. It was damn irritating. I mean, we buy dvds for instant access. Imagine having a cd to put in your car that would play a 10 minute ad when it loaded that disabled your controls over the cd player. Painful, no?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 9:16 am 

RNJBOND wrote:
I remember the dvd for Love Ke Liye Kuch Bhi Karega. It was a really funny movie... Unfortunately, it had 10 whole minutes of ads.

Which version was that? I have the Spark version, and there are no ads on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 1:28 pm 

Sanjay wrote:
Chebji wrote:
This DVD represents the standard that Indian dvd authors should be striving to meet. Perhaps in the future every movie will receive this treatment...

Actually in my personal opinion, as good as the audio/video quality of this DVD is, I pray no company emulates this stupid DVD. What good is the quality if one has to suffer thru the stupid commercials and worst of all the self promotion crap of DEI. I know I may be in the minority here when I say, that I am glad DEI got shut down because their DVDs had become the most irritating ones to watch. To make matters worse, their policy of disabling all the player controls during the commercials, even the stop button for god's sake, was nothing short of the worst example of consumer exploitation. Why O' why do we Indians put up with such crap and actually commend such efforts.
I personally would recommend everybody to stay away from all DEI DVDs mastered over the past yr & half or so, the time period when DEI started on it's self destructive policy of putting looooooong self promoting ads. I have personally never understood why Indians have such a desire to put our own faces (names, logos) on our products. Remember, Gulshan Kumar & T. Series, with the limit of it all being on the VHS of the film 'Sangeet', wherein during a song a picture of Anuradha Paudwal was actually interposed into the actual film. Also we Indians must be the only consumers in the world who would put up with this crap. I remember when Paramount released the VHS tapes of the Indian Jones Series with a series of excellently produced Pepsi commercials, with Harrison Ford playing Indiana Jones in the commercials, there was such a backlash from the American consumers that till date no studio has ever tried to repeat that foolish move. Do keep in mind that this was not just any regular commercial but specially produced, with surround sound and all, commercials just for the VHS release. I personally liked the commercials so much that I bought VHS for just the commercials since I already had the films on Laser Disc.
In closing let me recommend to one and all here, do not buy this crap from DEI but rather go find a duplicate DVD of the same material, wherein you will get the same content without the ads. Personally my copy of MIssion Bollywood just lies in a corner because I don't have the patience to suffer thru 15 minutes of DEI crap to be able to just watch 1 five minute song that I may be in the mood for.

Sanjay have u ever heard of the option called PBC (playback control)... If you have any APEX or region free dvd player, then there is a way for you to skip the commercials and copyright info before the DVD starts... I sued to do that with my old DVD player... in fact you can also do it with ur Apex 1500 dvd player !
And you are indeed in a minority :) No one will support you when u say that u are glad that DEI got shut down :tounge:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 3:01 pm 

When you get dvds of this quality, in a market where the quality of everything else is crap, I think that adverts are a small price to pay. DEI prob spend more money than other indian companies authoring their products so they need that extra money from somewhere. Their dvds are usually very cheap(check IW). They take dvds that are already made and master them and put the original dvd to shame(check out the baba titles later remade by DEI)
At the end of the day if u want crap dvds with no adverts then go for it. I personally dont like the adverts but put up with them. Usually i put the disc in 10 mins early or watch another channel whilst the adverts are on. Its not that hard to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 4:59 pm 

actually, i think :D
dei had long ads when they were making dvd's for eros in last months of their contract
dei had unskippable long ads, only when they were associated with Indiaplaza.com, it was indiaplaza.com that wanted their own ads on dei dvd's to be non-skippable, which enoyed me to death
then in last stages on dei's existence they broke away from indiaplaza.com and unskippable ads went away
and
i would have stopped buying dei dvd's ONLY IF their dvd's quality had gone down, which did not happen, except for that slightly squashed picture problem :rolleyes:
and
i would never buy non-authentic dei dvd, b/c it will not have as good of a picture and it would not have true 5.1 DD sound, right? at least i have not seen any dvd done by pirates that had true dd 5.1 sound when it claimed it, the most i have seen is false 5.1 sound, like some yashraj films\VS dvds :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 5:27 pm 
Site Admin

dvd_pankhaa wrote:
i would have stopped buying dei dvd's ONLY IF their dvd's quality had gone down, which did not happen, except for that slightly squashed picture problem :rolleyes:
and
i would never buy non-authentic dei dvd, b/c it will not have as good of a picture and it would not have true 5.1 DD sound, right? at least i have not seen any dvd done by pirates that had true dd 5.1 sound when it claimed it, the most i have seen is false 5.1 sound, like some yashraj films\VS dvds :D

Over looking the squashed video problems the last few DEIs were of degrading quality - Yeh Dil Aashiqanaa & Abay were not the usual DEI expected quality. Even some of their old film transfers were not done to the same standard as they had done before ie Agar Tum Na Hote and Sachaa Jhutha.

dvd_pankhaa wrote:

I’ve seen pirates of many DEI titles that retain the anamorphic video and 5.1 sound – there’s a very thin line what people call pirates and what these 'official' DVDs are. If you want to avoid buying non-authentic DEI DVDs do for the right reasons and not for some obscure reason you claim that doesn’t exist.

Ali :baaa:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 6:04 pm 

ali,
i agree, dei had its share of problems
in fact, as u know very well, dei were close but never quite up to the mark of actually being high quality dvd authoring company
and yeah, dei had gone down with quality in their last few months of existence
but they still were the only company that gave a decent treatment to the films on dvd medium, which is more of the reason they should not have had all those problems
as for pirate issue, i agree with about thin line, i just wasn't sure how to word what i wanted to say
i do have a 'pirate disc' my-self, Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam by DEI, but i would much rather have it then the VS version
i live in the US
i have never came upon the Dei dvd's that were non-authentic dei dvd's, i have heard of a pirate Kaho Naa Pyaar Hai dvd that has exactly the same cover as DEI, does it have same quality pic, anamorphic, and true 5.1 sound? same as DEI?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 7:29 pm 

sknath wrote:
Sanjay have u ever heard of the option called PBC (playback control)... If you have any APEX or region free dvd player, then there is a way for you to skip the commercials and copyright info before the DVD starts... I sued to do that with my old DVD player... in fact you can also do it with ur Apex 1500 dvd player !
And you are indeed in a minority :) No one will support you when u say that u are glad that DEI got shut down :tounge:

Yes, I have heard of PBC and regarding region free players, I have not one but two of them. But neither of the players help in skipping the ads on the DEI DVDs.

PS: Just cause DEI made DVDs with on the average better audio/video quality, does not excuse them of putting those insuferable ads at the start of the DVDs, that too in adition to disabling the control buttons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 7:33 pm 

Masti Man wrote:
When you get dvds of this quality, in a market where the quality of everything else is crap, I think that adverts are a small price to pay. DEI prob spend more money than other indian companies authoring their products so they need that extra money from somewhere. Their dvds are usually very cheap(check IW). They take dvds that are already made and master them and put the original dvd to shame(check out the baba titles later remade by DEI)
At the end of the day if u want crap dvds with no adverts then go for it. I personally dont like the adverts but put up with them. Usually i put the disc in 10 mins early or watch another channel whilst the adverts are on. Its not that hard to do.

I beg to defer here. These are just poor excuses and they certainly don't justify DEI putting those ads on their DVDs and certainly not the disabling of the controls. Why you say? Cause if you paid attention to the ads you would notice almost 50% of them were nothing but just self promotion ads of DEI itself including numerous Logo sequences of DEI and that too with cheap and loud music presented in not what you would call good quality sound.
As for putting the DVD in 10 minutes prior to watchign the film, well in the case of a film I guess one could still do that. But when it comes to a Music DVD like 'Mission Bollywood' and when one just wants to watch a song or two and then maybe change to disc 2 and again just listen to a couple of songs, believe me the ads really get on your nerves and it sure does not make sense for me to put up with 20 minutes of adds to watch 10 minutes of music.
By the way am I the only one who thinks that most DEI DVDs had the volume level waaaaaaaay too high?

Edited By Sanjay on 1036352231

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 7:54 pm 

this mission bollywood dvd did have higher volume than other dvds. heck, i could listen to the dvd on my laptop speakers wthout hooking up powered speakers, that's how loud the volume is at least on this MB dvd! i prefer that the volume is made louder when authoring the discs, because it seems a lot of dvds have the volume kinda low, so it's a bit annoying, at least when playing them on a laptop. otherwise, i guess you just turn up the volume of the tv. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 8:12 pm 
Site Admin

dvd_pankhaa I hear what you are saying. They are loads of copies of DEI DVDs that retain they original quality.

I kinda of mirror Sanjay views on DEI - they did make good DVDs but the way there attitude changed, I wouldn’t say I was glad to see them go but certainly didn’t shed any tears for them.

DEI DVDs looked good because they used better equipment for DVD transfers – especially their telecine process which I often heard was done on quality equipment. But competency and mentality was on the same level as Eros, VS and YRF. To me their attitude was no better.

Ali :baaa: :stupid: