It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:10 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:20 pm 

Thought of starting this topic.

Often I (and others) have inquired or reported run time discrepancies for various DVD titles/ versions and sometimes, that's all that's reported.
From now on, I'll try to report such discrepancies in this thread as I notice them. You too can use this thread for such reporting or for inquiring, if suits you. This way, one thread can cover many titles and we don't need to start a new thread just to report run time discrepancy. If a thread already exists for a DVD, sure it can be reported there too.

BANDINI:

Bandini: 1973 CC shows 4101 meters (149.5 min),
YRF 145.5 min, Shemaroo 136 min.

Still wonder about 4101 meters on 1973 CC (Orig film release was 1963) as that should have resulted in 143.5 min @ 4% speed up while it's 2 min more in YRF DVD. (YRF DVD and Shemaroo DVD both are 4% speed up).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:37 pm 

Jaali Note
(Dev Annand, Madhu Bala)

1960 CC shows 13926 ft i.e 155 min.

Shemaroo DVD is 125 min (130 min film time considering 4% speed up)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:20 pm 

Love In Simla

CC shows April 1970 cert @ 4633.57 meters (169 min). EROS DVD is about 161 min (167.5 min film). Shemaroo version is 155 min (161 min film) (cut description below).
(Both DVDs are PAL to NTSC field averaged; 4% speed up).

Shemaroo is better PQ though.

rana wrote:
I wonder what was the film length at time of orig release in 1960 ?? Perhaps the same as 169 min as in 1970 CC ??

What's missing in Shemaroo DVD :
At 120 min mark in Shemaroo DVD (122 min mark in EROS DVD) there is scene for Miss Simla selection and Film contract competition. After the first song (Ho Haiyya) there is a tiff between Sadhna and Joy Mukherjee leading to 2nd part of competition song "Husn Waale Wafaa Nahin Karte (Qwwali type)". This tiff (I think it's important part of the plot) is abruptly cut (30 sec cut) and takes us abruptly to the end of "Husn Waale Wafaa" song (185 sec cut).

Another scene slightly cut is at about 106 min mark where Sadhna's aunt pampers her to go talk to sad cousin Shila (Azra ??). Nothing much but just that one scene abruptly cuts incomplete and the next starts equally abruptly (20-30 sec).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:19 pm 

QURBANI:

1980 CC = 4297 m = 156.5 min.
EROS DVD (Genuine) is 158 min. (No 4% speed up)
Another EROS DVD (must be Pirate, has Digital Video title in the beginning and EROS type commercials & menu is totally Pirate like; It's Single Layer)= 158 min.

Quote:
I've always wondered about the song "Hum Tumhein Chahte Hain Aisey" that had the verse "Koi Poochhe Mera Iraada" when I saw it on VHS (pirate of course), at the time of its release (also was in orig sp ed LP release) but has gone missing since. This song could not have been in the orig theatrical release either, as the EROS DVD content corresponds to orig theatrical release CC. This missing verse is important to the plot as it shows that Vinod Khanna-Zeenat love was one sided. Without this verse, it's otherwise.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:15 pm 

Ghulami

Bombino PAL DVD shows June 13, 1985 CC, film length is 5405.78 meters. This amounts to 197 min film time.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9571
rana wrote:
bhaskar wrote:
sengh_15 wrote:
its about 184 according to the BBFC

The BBFC censored run time of the Moviebox Ghulami DVD is 170 mins, with about a minute and a half cut:

Cuts were required to remove sight of cruelty to animals (specifically horses being made to trip and fall forwards onto their necks), in accordance with BBFC Policy.

When submitted to the BBFC the work had a running time of 170m 51s.

This work was submitted to the BBFC by Movie Box Birmingham Ltd .

But IMDB state the run time as 199 mins:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089201/

The Bombino VCD (the movie is split onto 3 discs) has a run time of 176 mins, and has the same source as the Bombino and Moserbaer DVD.

Bombino PAL DVD shows June 13, 1985 CC, film length is 5405.78 meters. This amounts to 197 min film time.

This Bombino PAL DVD runs for 171.1 min (4% speed up) which is 178.25 min film time. (Missing = 19 min aprox from the 1975 CC indicated time). If 171 version was submitted to BBC who cut 2 min for animal cruelty, this 2 min must be in the Bombino PAL DVD.

Bhasskar said, Bombino VCD is 176 min. Most likely, it'd be a PAL VCD @ 4% speed up, coming to 183.3 min film time. So, it might have 5 min more than the Bombino DVD ??

And, checked my VHS. It's a "Top Video" release and is 179 min (adverts time removed) and is PAL to NTSC converted. This is eq to 186.5 min (still missing 10.5 min from orig CC indicated time of 197 min).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:45 pm 

ANARKALI (1953)
Pradeep Kumar, Bina Roy

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11007

rana wrote:
IMDB states 175 min runtime (168 min if 4% speed up)

Shemaroo version is 160 min

Paraag version is 156 min

Gurpreet Video VHS version is 162 min. (Gurpreet Video got the British Censor Clearance, as per their VHS starting credit)

All three are basically from a 1978 faded film print.

Of these Gurpreet Video orig PAL master seems to be the best bet to make further copies (PAL) as a copy made from their VHS release seems pretty sharp but suffers from other VHS copying degradation. I think, Gurpreet Video did release some DVDs under GVI brand. Did they bring out Anarkali DVD too ?? I wish they release Anarkali PAL DVD.

Even the longest of the three versions, has discontinuities. One that's easily noticeable is where Anarkali is questioned, "Why leave after the event, as someone enters overhearing some conversation ?" while the scene saying that she will leave after the event (can't say how long was that scene) got cut due to commercial/ logo break in the VHS.

How long is the Moserbaer-Ultra version ??
Comparing Shemaroo PQ and the Moserbaer screen shots Moserbaer is a much sharper.

mrbrat_Boy, what's the film length reported on Moserbaer CC ?? Shemaroo, Paraag, Gurpreet VHS all have faded print and film length is not readable.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:19 pm 

rana wrote:
Thought of starting this topic.

Often I (and others) have inquired or reported run time discrepancies for various DVD titles/ versions and sometimes, that's all that's reported.
From now on, I'll try to report such discrepancies in this thread as I notice them. You too can use this thread for such reporting or for inquiring, if suits you. This way, one thread can cover many titles and we don't need to start a new thread just to report run time discrepancy. If a thread already exists for a DVD, sure it can be reported there too.

BANDINI:

Bandini: 1973 CC shows 4101 meters (149.5 min),
YRF 145.5 min, Shemaroo 136 min.

Still wonder about 4101 meters on 1973 CC (Orig film release was 1963) as that should have resulted in 143.5 min @ 4% speed up while it's 2 min more in YRF DVD. (YRF DVD and Shemaroo DVD both are 4% speed up).

I feel that in this case Shemaroo is the one to avoid. Yash Raj seems longer and the print too is really good (acc to the old preview).
http://web.archive.org/web/201208110951 ... e=&order=0

Not only does the print seem good, but the cover artwork and menus too look fantastic. Not to mention, inclusion of extras makes the DVD really worth owing.
Can someone shed some more light on the Yash Raj version? I would love screenshots if anyone is willing to post. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:36 pm 

Film AAN (Dilip Kumar-Nimmi)

What's the full runtime ??

Quote:
IMDB states 161 min

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfPXXm_K0dc
Youtube Hindi VHS shows film CC from 1977 as 4434 meters which is 162 min same as the youtube version but the info shows 25 fps which could indicate 4% speedup, making film time 169 min.
Film CC also shows 19 reels implying 180-190 min film (@ 10 min per reel)

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WslLYyTc6t8
Eagle version on youtube is 169 min but this too is at 25 fps indicating 4% speedup implying runtime 176 min.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:26 pm 

Quote:
Eagle version on youtube is 169 min but this too is at 25 fps indicating 4% speedup implying runtime 176 min.

This version is actually copied from a repaired version that is available online and runs at 24 fps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE3i5na1TtA
This is the repaired version of AAN.

The songs in the two uploads show no difference when played side by side. Therefore, it can be concluded that both these uploads are sans any PAL speedup. The Eagle version consists of some kind of manipulation in frame rate causing the film to stay at film speed, but show 25 frames every second. I don't know the technical reasons for this, but I have seen a lot of these repaired 24 fps films to be copied and then to run at 25 fps when uploaded by other studios (and their YouTube channels), albeit maintaining film speed.

I remember owning the Shemaroo and Eros versions of the film. I remember the run time of Shemaroo version of AAN to be ten minutes shorter than Eros version. Shemaroo clocks around 151 mins, and Eros around 161-162 mins. I do hope that my memory serve correctly, though. I will try to look for the DVDs so and confirm my claims.

An AAN thread exists on the forums.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4415&

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:42 pm 

Ragz wrote:
Quote:

This version is actually copied from a repaired version that is available online and runs at 24 fps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE3i5na1TtA
This is the repaired version of AAN.

The songs in the two uploads show no difference when played side by side. Therefore, it can be concluded that both these uploads are sans any PAL speedup. The Eagle version consists of some kind of manipulation in frame rate causing the film to stay at film speed, but show 25 frames every second. I don't know the technical reasons for this, but I have seen a lot of these repaired 24 fps films to be copied and then to run at 25 fps when uploaded by other studios (and their YouTube channels), albeit maintaining film speed.

An AAN thread exists on the forums.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4415&

I too have no clue how 24 fps changes to 25 fps without any speed difference and also without any repeated frames & "without associated fuzziness if field averaged", in altered frame rate.

I too checked video speed in 24 fps video and in 25 fps video and found no difference in speed.