It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:18 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:50 am 

ALSO, the acclaimed punjabi film Anhey Ghorey Da Daan also gets it's NFDC DVD release.

Some screenshots/comparisons posted here with the newely NFDC release & the already existing DVDs.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:12 am 

Reported in The Times of India, 27-March-2012, New Delhi
Quote:
NFDC plays yesterday once more
Kim Arora TNN

New Delhi: The National Film Development Corporation (NFDC) film restoration project, which began two years ago, is now bearing fruit. Fifty six of the 80 films on the NFDC list have been restored. DVDs of some digitally restored films hit the retail market earlier this month under the NFDC’s home video label, ‘Cinemas of India’.

Some of the digitally restored classics out on DVD are: Ketan Mehta’s “Mirch Masala”, Tapan Sinha’s “Ek Doctor Ki Maut”, Sudhir Mishra’s ‘Dharavi”, A K Bir’s “Shesha Drishti”, Kundan Shah’s “Jaane Bhi Do Yaaron” and Saeed Mirza’s “Salim Langde Pe Mat Ro”.

Film negatives of classics such as “Jaane Bhi Do Yaaro”, “Suraj Ka Saatvan Ghoda”, “Ghare Baire”, “Agantuk”, etc, have been stored at the NFDC labs and the film archives for over two decades. Over time, the negatives of these films began to deteriorate. Cinematographers, colour analysts and sound engineers were among nearly a 100 others called on to begin the restoration of these films. The Union ministry of information and broadcasting allocated Rs 10 crore for this project.

“There were cases like in ‘Jaane Bhi Do Yaaron’ where light had leaked into the negative in the Mahabharat scene, giving it a pinkish tinge. There was a green line running through parts of ’ Rudaali’ where the negative had curled up. In some cases, the negative was entirely lost,” says NFDC chairperson Nina Lath Gupta highlighting the scale of deterioration. The time taken to restore each print depends on the extent of damage. A Tagore DVD set, for example, could be managed in a month. But ‘Rudaali’, on the other hand, has taken over a year already.

Cinematographer A K Bir and sound designer Nakul Kamte are working as consultants on the project.

“It was necessary to get these works of art to the next generation. It is an investment into the future,” says Bir, who says Satyajit Ray’s Jalsaghar was one of the most difficult films to restore so far. “The negative was that film did not exist. The restoration was done from an existing positive. It is now available in digital format,” he says. Gupta says that while negatives are anyway perishable, the problem in India is compounded because of dust.

Saving some of these negatives could have been easier with an earlier intervention. “NFDC had been going through losses. The revamping and restructuring took its time,” explains Gupta.

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Default/ ... wMode=HTML

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:17 pm 

nice initiative by NFDC, I already got Salim Langde Pe Mat Ro, Jaane Bhi Do Yaaro, Mirch Masala and Dharavi and quite satisfied with print and sound of these titles.

Have you any idea of forthcoming titles by NFDC Cimenas of India.

I search on google and got some name : Pestonjee, Naseem, Kamla ki Maut, Paar, Main Zinda Hu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:03 pm 

Train to Pakistan has also been released on DVD by NFDC. Alot of hard to find films being released by NFDC.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:19 pm 

The restoration of Jaane Bhi Do Yaaaron is quite remarkable compared to any version I own! Such a landmark film ought to get a Blu-Ray restoration but that may be a distant dream.

NFDC is a goldmine of great cinema. This is a great initiative and long overdue :)

Any reviews or feedback on the other titles??

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:08 pm 

Recently I got Massey Sahib. Indian version of "Mister Johnson"... this film based on a Joyce Cary best sailing novel "Mister Johnson". I think many of us had seen this movie on Doordarshan in our childhood. From a long time i am searching this one in dvd market and internet as well and finally got it. But not satisfied with print quality as they mentioned audio video digitally restored. But as it was not available so far I think there is no space for complaining.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:25 am 

en Kingsley's Gandhi directed by Richard Attenborough is coming soon under the flag of Cinemas of india

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:58 am 

"Train to Pakistan" is cut! The more physically-intimate scenes are not featured on the shemaroo/nfdc DVD. Though you can find the same scenes in the version earlier released by EAGLE.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:47 am 

newDEEP wrote:
"Train to Pakistan" is cut! The more physically-intimate scenes are not featured on the shemaroo/nfdc DVD. Though you can find the same scenes in the version earlier released by EAGLE.

This is really sad.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:32 am 

I have bought almost all the NFDC restored titles released till date. Though the restoration work is great (as evident through the great video and audio quality on all these DVDs), the choice of encoding opted by the studio spoils the quality of the experience. The restoration studio that NFDC have collaborated with (some Pixion Studios, Mumbai) for these releases doesn't seem to have any clue as to what they are doing.

Either they come up with a 29.970 fps blended progressive transfer (for movies that were definitely shot on film) with tons and tons of ghosting (fieldblends). The studio is doing a 24->30 fps sliding-blend-conversion. As a result, the video shows very ugly and funky blocking artifacts (the blocking is introduced after the blending). Massey Sahib, Duvidha, Uski Roti and many other titles have this kind of transfer. Has any Zulmi come across these sliding blend conversions on any DVD?

Or the studio turns up with the usual PAL to NTSC field averaged DVD :ffs:

To top this all, the studio also seems to be color correcting the transfers. This is very much evident in the DVD's of Ketan Mehta's Mirch Masala and Mani Kaul's Duvidha.

Also, subtitles are missing for a few important scenes here and there and almost for quarter of Arvind Desai Ki Ajeeb Dastaan (yeah, that quarter is the last and most important quarter of the movie).

While the initiative taken by NFDC does help bring these movies to a larger audience, it saddens me that the best of Indian Parallel Cinema is getting the worst of treatments.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:21 pm 

Dear Charolastra

have you bought GANDHI, released recently... could you please place some screenshots and tell me in which language this dvd???

Regards
amit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:09 pm 

Amit wrote:
have you bought GANDHI, released recently... could you please place some screenshots and tell me in which language this dvd???
amit

Sorry, I haven't bought this one yet. Most probably wouldn't buy it as there are definitely better DVDs and Blu-ray's of this movie.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:00 pm 

Unfortunately the DVD of Jane Bhi Do Yaaron is Pseudo-Progressive.

I don't know about the others.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:32 am 

As I've said before that I have JBDY by NFDC-Shemaroo.

The print has been restored very well.

But limitations are their - like Mr. Charolastra Said:-

Quote:
Either they come up with a 29.970 fps blended progressive transfer (for movies that were definitely shot on film) with tons and tons of ghosting (fieldblends). The studio is doing a 24->30 fps sliding-blend-conversion. As a result, the video shows very ugly and funky blocking artifacts (the blocking is introduced after the blending).

That is true!

JBDY shows combing and fieldblends (though I'm not really very sure what exactly it is) and fuzziness

They aren't really sure about what they are doing.

My copy of JBDY is PSEUDO PROG. Don't know about the latter batches. Possibly they are PAL to NTSC field averaged.

Last edited by Ragz on Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:44 pm 

Another feather has been added in the hat of 'CINEMAS OF INDIA' Series.

Paar (1984) starring Shabana Azmi, Naseeruddin Shah and Om Puri, Directed by well knowned Goutam Ghose is now available.

keep it on NFDC. :lol: :D