It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:39 pm 

Raghuvir wrote:
What exactly is the difference between gold & silver discs?

In the old days, DL DVDs playing side was Goldish tint, sometimes quite dark Gold. Later on, at one point, a lots of, one after the another, DVDs kept on having playing problems. Initially this was limited to DVDs replicated by Media Dimensions and later with many others. In particular, problem was in the 2nd layer.As it turned out, all these discs were silverish on the playing side, in total contrast to Goldish tint that was norm for DL DVDs, in those days. So, it was just a co-relation that Gold DVDs keep plaaying and Silver discs rot in the 2nd layer. (SL DVDs, even if in Silver, did not have this problem)
Later on, most DL DVDs started appearing in Silverish media (Hollywood), and did not have this problem of 2nd layer rot. In case of Bollywood DVDs, it's appalling that even 10 Yrs later, the same old stock is still in circulation and we often get DL DVDs that are rotted in the 2nd layer. A sealed copy may play for a limited time but rots any time (i min to 1 year) thereafter, just as Silver corrodes in air.

In those days, one speculation was that someone picked up "Limited use" discs in bulk (recall that failed phase where they tried to market DVDs on per play basis) and used as their cheap raw material ??

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:08 pm 

Thank you.
I referred to another site and they say that gold DVDs minimize Reflection as compared to silver ones, therefore, silver discs get damaged very fast as compared to gold ones, therefore gold ones are safer.

Is HDDCD DEi silver disc or gold? 10 yrs ago, I had bought one from a pirated store. It was 1 disced without the special features and was gold. It worked quite well and after a few weeks, I couldn't access the parts from chapter 19 (an oath never to sing) to chap 22 (a new beginning). Since I was very young that time, I didn't exactly remember what those scenes were about. After 4-5 yrs, I watched it after a long time, therefore I missed those parts and didn't get the crux of the film. I decided to go on for shemaroo as I was in India and had that as the only option. tHerefore, I missed a lot of the film on good quality. Shemaroo was a silver disc but it worked pretty well for a year or so.
4 mths ago, I bought a DVD on hddcs expecting the BE version, only to receive a video sound one. That video sound was the dupe of the DEi version. I got to see the movie in good quality again untill the visor sound disc went through minor damages and cracked a month after.
Now I've bought another one from eBay and they say that they'll be sending the 2 disced DEi DVD.

After hearing this , my disheartened feelings got blossomed again.I'll see the DVD and put up my opinions.

Btw, can U tell me anything about the t series version of hddcs.

Thanks again, Rana, for your unending knowledge.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:40 pm 

Can't be sure, that it'll be the Gold disc. Depends when and who replicated it. It's possible to get old stock that was on Gold disc.

As I said earlier, VS/ SD and DEI both had close co-operation in HDDCS and now that both companies are no more or non-existent, either version is possible on either brand.

In many cases, I prefer to buy previously viewed or rented DVDs as I can see the media. Even scratched Gold discs are more reliable than Silver discs.

BTW, even now, I often find less popular films (like DEI God Mother), still from the old old original stock, like India Plaza DEI ones that used to be on dark Gold media.

- Never saw T-Series version but am 100% sure, it'll be utter crap as compared to DEI/ VS-SD Progressive version.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:51 pm 

rana wrote:
Can't be sure, that it'll be the Gold disc. Depends when and who replicated it. It's possible to get old stock that was on Gold disc.

As I said earlier, VS/ SD and DEI both had close co-operation in HDDCS and now that both companies are no more or non-existent, either version is possible on either brand.

In many cases, I prefer to buy previously viewed or rented DVDs as I can see the media. Even scratched Gold discs are more reliable than Silver discs.

BTW, even now, I often find less popular films (like DEI God Mother), still from the old old original stock, like India Plaza DEI ones that used to be on dark Gold media.

- Never saw T-Series version but am 100% sure, it'll be utter crap as compared to DEI/ VS-SD Progressive version.

Ok! Thanks! I'll just pray that its gold!
There is no info about the T-Series DVD anywhere. I just saw its front cover which says that it has 5.1 Digital Surround Sound and English & French subtitles.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:58 am 

(pls delete)

Last edited by Ragz on Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:00 am 

(pls delete)

Last edited by Ragz on Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:38 am 

Chalo, I got my DVD which is gold. The special features are silver.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:29 pm 

Is the BEI company still active?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:48 pm 

Raghuvir wrote:
Is the BEI company still active?

BEI is not active anymore.

My DVD store told me some time ago that they get their BEI DVDs from Bollywood Films. I think, BEI, Bollywood Films, Samraat and another 1-2 companies had close co-operation and BEI re-did a few of their DVDs under BEI/ DEI, to BEI std (Progressive).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:14 pm 

rana wrote:
BEI is not active anymore.

My DVD store told me some time ago that they get their BEI DVDs from Bollywood Films. I think, BEI, Bollywood Films, Samraat and another 1-2 companies had close co-operation and BEI re-did a few of their DVDs under BEI/ DEI, to BEI std (Progressive).

That's sad! All the extraordinary DVD companies are closing their company, while the crappy ones continue with their business.

But the positive point is that the crappy ones have started doing better, in terms of quality and enhancement.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:16 pm 

(pls delete)

Last edited by Ragz on Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:25 am 

I saw a torrent of the rapid eye DVD of hddcs. Its probably in Dutch. Is it any better than DEi?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:26 am 

(pls delete)

Last edited by Ragz on Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:52 pm 

(pls delete).

Last edited by Ragz on Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:56 am 

Raghuvir wrote:
I think DEi has used a damaged audio source for HDDCS. There are parts wherein the audio gives a sharp crack sound.

These have to be pirated as DEI/BEI left the market too long ago.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next