It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 2:57 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:39 am 

Maybe its just my monitor, but do the blacks in those caps look a little light to anyone else?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:52 am 

rana wrote:
Zoran009 wrote:
rana wrote:

So, is BR version a three disc set, BR film, Extras disc, Digital disc ?? Or, is it that Extras are on BR disc itself, in DVD quality, and not compatible with DVD players ??

I think I did post it here, some where that fox decided rentals to be single disc and retail only 2 discs, both dvd and bluray.

In DVD, there's only one version for sale ($ 19) on the shelves and it has no indication of 2 disc.

I cant find that post" NO EXTRAS ON RENTAL DISC"

Quote:
Fox cuts out the extras on rental discs

by Richard Lawler, posted Mar 6th 2009 at 1:11PM
With DVD sales slipping, every studio is trying new strategies to eke out a buck, and now Fox is trying to coax people towards buying instead of renting, by selling stripped down versions of some movies to rental outlets and keeping premium extras for buyers. According to a letter obtained by Video Business, Slumdog Millionaire will be one of the first discs with the treatment, where extras like deleted scenes and commentaries go retail only on the DVD, while the rental Blu-ray edition loses the (probably useless on a rental) digital copy. At least so far the HD editions of these movies don't seem to be affected, but unless prices come down we wouldn't be surprised to see this kind desperation double dipping on the Blu-ray front as well. Still, with as many of our readers that have said they don't care about extras and the relative ease of piracy, studios may just have to learn to be happy people are paying to watch at all.

[Via Switched]

* Read

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:20 pm 

AVSForum gave the Blu ray a 88 out of 100. Not quite a reference bluray but an excellent one.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1134473

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65
**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 88

Dynamics:

Low frequency extension:
Surround Sound presentation:
Clarity/Detail:
Dialogue Reproduction:

Video: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Resolution/Clarity:
Black level/Shadow detail:
Color reproduction:
Fleshtones:
Compression:

Slumdog millionaire comes to Blu-ray Disc from Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 29 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.4 mbps.

This film has two distinct visual styles that both offer excellent high definition video quality. The story is told through a series of flashbacks that appear to have been shot on film. The sequences shot in the present appear to have been shot on high definition video. The film based flashbacks are sprinkled lightly with grain, have a dynamic visual aesthetic, stark contrast, and razor sharp clarity. Colors are bold, vibrant and deeply saturated. The video based sequences are smoother looking, with better contrast/brightness balance, crisp lines, and toned down colors that give it a cooler visual aesthetic. Fleshtones are on the bronze side but don’t appear unnatural. Images are highly detailed with transparent depth and fine articulation regardless of the camera’s perspective. Blacks are respectable but don’t have the rich, ink like depth that makes them appear infinite. Shadow detail is revealing and gives dark scenes and low lit sequences excellent dimension. The video has a pristine, high gloss finish that is enriching and at times visually arresting.

The lossless DTS-HD MA soundtrack was equally impressive. Its wide dynamic range can go from subtle, intricate control to full on blow you out of your seat dynamism. The film’s superlative music is center stage as it is broadcast over the entire system with high level detail, smooth, strident free treble, and an authoritative, pulsating low end that fills the room with deep bass. Dialogue is reproduced with supreme intelligence and prominent focus. Surround use is abundant as the mix generates a 360 degree soundfield that encapsulates the listening position. Panning sequences are seamless as the sounds of helicopters, airplanes or thumping instrumentation move throughout the soundstage. The music score is amazing as it is integrated into the sound design and helps drive the storyline. My kids were so impressed with the film’s music that they downloaded the soundtrack from iTunes. I felt that at times the presence of the music in the rear channels was too prominent and threw off the front/rear balance. This isn’t an overly aggressive mix but it makes excellent use of entire surround platform as it delivers an invigorating home theater experience. Be sure to turn this one up, sit back, and enjoy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:24 pm 

rana wrote:
Zoran009 wrote:
rana wrote:

So, is BR version a three disc set, BR film, Extras disc, Digital disc ?? Or, is it that Extras are on BR disc itself, in DVD quality, and not compatible with DVD players ??

I think I did post it here, some where that fox decided rentals to be single disc and retail only 2 discs, both dvd and bluray.

In DVD, there's only one version for sale ($ 19) on the shelves and it has no indication of 2 disc.

From TheDigitalBits.Com:
Quote:
...it looks like there was a mix-up at the replication plant, and a number of people have inadvertently purchased barebones "rental only" versions of Fox's Slumdog Millionaire on DVD - a title that's supposed to include deleted scenes and a behind-the-scenes featurette. If you've been affected by this, you can call Fox's hotline number for this (1-888-223-4FOX) to arrange for a replacement disc. You can read more on this here at Content Agenda.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:32 pm 

I dont know what the hoopla is over the PQ of SM .. IMO and many others over at Blu-Ray.Com think the PQ is average nothing great .. I expected better for this Oscar Winner.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:02 am 

funny how the movie that won all the awards gets average treatment while the movie that didnt win all the awards aka benjamin button gets the criterion treatment!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:53 pm 

vjmajic2002 wrote:
funny how the movie that won all the awards gets average treatment while the movie that didnt win all the awards aka benjamin button gets the criterion treatment!

PRIDE AND PREJUDICE! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:22 pm 

vjmajic2002 wrote:

It's gpt 'Double Dip' written all over it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:11 pm 

Shemaroo has released the following variants in India:
- Slumdog Millionaire single disc edition DVD - Rs 399
- Slumdog Crorepati single disc edition DVD - Rs 299
- Slumdog Millionaire VCD - Rs 199
- Slumdog Crorepati VCD - Rs 99
- Two Disc Collector's Edition DVD pack - Rs. 499

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:01 am 

Sanjay wrote:
vjmajic2002 wrote:

It's gpt 'Double Dip' written all over it.

I don't think so. The film was shot on digital cameras mostly and that's how it looks.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:15 pm 

R2 UK dvd done by Pathe!?

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:18 pm 

NewDeep wrote:
Shemaroo has released the following variants in India:
- Slumdog Millionaire single disc edition DVD - Rs 399
- Slumdog Crorepati single disc edition DVD - Rs 299
- Slumdog Millionaire VCD - Rs 199
- Slumdog Crorepati VCD - Rs 99
- Two Disc Collector's Edition DVD pack - Rs. 499

On the 2-disc Shemaroo DVD:
Making of Slumdog Millionaire, Deleted Scenes – appox 30 mins duration, Slumdog Dreams by Danny Boyle, The Premiere event footage, Slumdog countdown (6 minutes) and Theatrical trailers.

Are all these on the single-disc R1 as well? And on R2, R4...?

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:34 pm 

Quote:
shemaroo

What are the language options on the 2-Disc Set?

Review of R1 DVD: DVDTalk Review

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:20 pm 

SHEMAROO

- Slumdog Millionaire single disc edition DVD - Rs 399 - ENGLISH/HINDI (ORIGINAL RECORDING) AUDIO ; SUBTITLES NOT KNOWN YET

- Slumdog Crorepati single disc edition DVD - Rs 299 - HINDI (DUB) AUDIO (5.1 and 2.0); NO SUBTITLES

- Two Disc Collector's Edition DVD pack - Rs. 499 - ENGLISH/HINDI (ORIGINAL RECORDING); SUBTITLES NOT KNOWN YET

--------------------------------------------

The Slumdog Crorepati DVD is NTSC 120-min-19-seconds. I assume the same for the feature format and runtime for the Slumdog Millionaire DVDs.
case - digipak
anamorphic 2.35:1
hindi dolby digital 5.1 and 2.0 options
no subtitles
all regions
my disc from a batch replicated at KRCD

shots from laptop and in png format
thankfully, no superimposed shemaroo logo!

First 22 seconds into the feature (Slumdog Crorepati)

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:11 pm 

COMPARISON

R1 shot taken by Ali using PowerDVD

Shemaroo R0 (Crorepati) shot taken off my laptop using PowerDVD

---

R1 shot taken by Ali using PowerDVD

Shemaroo R0 (Crorepati) shot taken off my laptop using PowerDVD

--

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next