It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 9:43 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:59 am 

** There was a big article in NYTimes today! Did any one see resored dvd?

Prapancha Pash (1929)
advertisement
* photos * board * trailer * details
Register or login to rate this title
User Rating: 7.3/10 (32 votes)
more
Photos (see all 2 | slideshow)
Overview
Director:
Franz Osten
Writers:
W.A. Burton (writer)
Max Jungk (writer)
more
Release Date:
4 January 1930 (USA) more
Genre:
Drama
Plot:
Two rival kings addicted to gambling, Ranjit (Roy) and the evil Sohan (Rai), also vie for the same woman... more | add synopsis
User Comments:
Strong silent film made better by an engaging new score from Sawhney more
Cast
(Credited cast)
Seeta Devi ... Sunita
Himansu Rai ... Sohan
Charu Roy ... Ranjit
Modhu Bose
Sarada Gupta ... The Hermit
Lala Bijoykishen
Tincory Chakrabarty
more
Create a character page for: ?
Additional Details
Also Known As:
A Throw of Dice (UK)
Schicksalswürfel (Germany)
Throw of the Dice (USA)
more
Parents Guide:
Add content advisory for parents
Runtime:
74 min | India:85 min
UK | India | Germany
Language:
English
Color:
Black and White
Sound Mix:
Silent
Certification:
UK:U
Filming Locations:
Ajmer, Rajhastan, India
MOVIEmeter: ?
No change since last week why?
Company:
British Instructional Films (BIF) more
Fun Stuff
Trivia:
The production used over 10,000 extras, 1,000 horses and 50 elephants provided by the royal houses of Jaipur, Udaipur and Mysore more
FAQ
This FAQ is empty. Add the first question.
User Comments
(Comment on this title)
0 out of 1 people found the following comment useful:-
Strong silent film made better by an engaging new score from Sawhney, 12 December 2007
Author: bob the moo from Birmingham, UK

Kings Ranjit and Sohan may well be cousins who share a love of gambling but, unbeknownst to Ranjit, Sohan plots to kill him and make his kingdom his own. Sohan's plot fails though and Ranjit is only wounded during his hunting "accident" and is saved by a local healer. While staying in this village, Ranjit meets the beautiful Sunita and decides to make her his wife. Her father refuses due to Ranjit's famed gambling habit but when Sohan gets wind of the lovers' planned elopement, he comes up with another evil plot.

Unlike the consistently thorough IMDb reviewer "Igenlode Wordsmith", I was not fortunate enough to see the BFI dust this film off in Trafalgar Square with a live orchestra earlier this year. Instead I had to catch it on channel 4 (screened at an absurdly late hour) but the reason for the showing was the same – the re-scoring of the original film by composer Nitin Sawhney. I don't mean to ignore this aspect of the film but I also don't want to fixate on it and ignore the film as a whole. Before watching it, it is important to accept that this is a silent film from India almost eighty years old, and perhaps put aside your modern eyes to some degree – complaining about a lack of dialogue may say more about the reviewer than the film! However you should expect the standards of the silent era and of a film this age and not be complaining because the film is actually an impressive piece of silent cinema. The story is a strong story of love, betrayal and murder. When you can describe characters as "evil king" and "bad king" you won't be surprised to learn that this is not the most subtle of character films but this approach suits the medium as one does need to overstate things when doing it without the benefit of sound. I was held by it for the 80-odd minute running time – itself an impressive fact considering it was made in the twenties.

Continuing the theme of scale, IMDb's trivia footnote tells me this film had 10,000 extras, 1000 horses and 50 elephants – I wouldn't have guessed those figures but there is no doubt that the film is impressive in regards the scale of the production. The sets and shots are impressive in their sheer size; this is not a film shot on cheap sets but one that wears the majesty of its characters in all the detail. Osten directs very well, managing these shots but also bringing off intimate character moments as well as some technically clever stuff as well (the reflection in the water shot was my favourite). He also brings the best out of his cast – although again you need to appreciate that this is a silent film and that the acting style demanded is different. Roy is the hero of the piece and he performs this task well, even if he is a tad dull with it. Likewise Devi makes for a very attractive heroine who works her chemistry with the hero as well as she does her lack of chemistry with the villain, however it is Rai's film to be had. He play the villain and he gets to do so with a wonderfully melodramatic performance that plays up so the audience can see he is being sneaky, plotting etc. In a modern film we would call him cheesy but here it is just what was required and his performance is a delight, adding energy to the film.

Finally, given that it is the reason for the recent showing, it would be impolite not to mention Sawhney's score – indeed it would be foolish because it is excellent. It manages to be modern and old fashioned at the same time but most importantly, it perfectly matches the tone of the film as it plays. This means that the drama is lifted, the humour is played out a little and the involvement and attitude of the audience is guided by the music – and I cannot think of what more I would want from a score. Will I be putting it on my pod for casual listening? Well no, but within the film it is perfect and I am jealous of the people who saw it with London Symphony Orchestra in the open air.

Overall then a quite impressive silent film in terms of scale and delivery, the addition of a great new score only serves to make it better.
Was the above comment useful to you?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:04 am 

I can't believe that this released and I didn't know! Some of my friends saw the 'live' screening of this in the UK - this was where the new score by Nitin Sawhney was played by an orchestra during the screening of the film. I was hoping that it would be released at some point ....

Anyhow - it's released on DVD by Kino. I just ordered it from Amazon using my OSO coupon :D

I've been looking forwards to seeing some really long forgotten Indian movies so this will be a treat I'm sure.

Thanks Arsh bhai for letting us know.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:13 pm 

This has been out by BFI for over a year now and i suggest you get the PAL version than the KINO one which is going to be plagued by PAL-NTSC transfer (and we know how good KINO are with that !)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000 ... d_i=468294

Would be interested to hear Sawhney score on this.

BTW - this is not an Indian film in its true sense, more of a Anglo/German collaboration but nevertheless a worthy addition to any cinephile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:48 pm 

Muz wrote:
I can't believe that this released and I didn't know! Some of my friends saw the 'live' screening of this in the UK - this was where the new score by Nitin Sawhney was played by an orchestra during the screening of the film. I was hoping that it would be released at some point ....

Anyhow - it's released on DVD by Kino. I just ordered it from Amazon using my OSO coupon :D

I've been looking forwards to seeing some really long forgotten Indian movies so this will be a treat I'm sure.

Thanks Arsh bhai for letting us know.

My pleasure! This is HISTORY!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:57 pm 

dvdisoil wrote:

BTW - this is not an Indian film in its true sense, more of a Anglo/German collaboration but nevertheless a worthy addition to any cinephile

Franz Osten directed a whole load of movies in India - I have only seen Achhut Kanya (Ashok Kumar / Devika Rani).

I think that this DVD has released a lot later than the UK. If I had known I would have ordered this ages ago!