It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:42 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 12:26 am 

I remember watching this silent movie on Zee TV a long long time ago, and i must admit it is one of the most hillarious hindi movies out there. For those of you who didnt watch this movie, here is a little synopsis...

SPEECH IS SILVER - SILENCE IS GOLD
KAMAL is a young unemployed graduate who in spite of his meager surroundings continues to fantasize about wealth. Once Kamal approaches a five star hotel "PUSHPAK" founded by an old man Loknath who has reached this wealthy position from a humble tea stall. A rich man, KHAKHAR is staying in this hotel. He is prone to drinking and racing but he adores his wife very much. What he does not know that his wife is attracted to his closest friend Pratap.

The following night Kamal sees Khakhar lying in a drunken state on a lonely pavement. Kamal sees the hotel key in his pocket. An idea suddenly strikes him and he carries Khakhar to his own home, gags and ties his legs to the cot, locks his room and enters PUSHPAK hotel with the Khakhar's key. There he meets a girl, AMALA whom he had earlier seen in a shopping complex. Amala is a daughter of a performing magician RAMESH.

While enjoying the luxuries of hotel, Kamal regularly returns secretly to his room, feeds Khakhar, does all the services and leaves him in a drunken state.

The friendship between Kamal and Amala grows. One day when Amala's parents are away, the youngsters sneak out of the hotel room to spend some happy time together. Kamal wishes to buy Amala a gift with the money he now has. Amala refuses all offer and asks him, instead to get her a small flower growing on top of a dilapidated building. Risking all obstacles, Kamal gets the flower for Amala. This episode reflects on Kamal the values of LOVE, LIFE and MONEY.

He soon discovers that he is being followed by an unknown killer. Following the killer in turn, he discovers what was happening in Khakhar's home. However by now Khakhar's wife is repentant.

The death of the beggar for whose money there was a scramble, and the rags to riches life of the hotel owner inspires Kamal to forego the pleasure earned through the shortcuts. He writes the truth to Amala and Khakhar, places Khakhar back to the same place where he had picked him up and returns to his original life. Before leaving the hotel, Amala has a last glimpse of Kamal. For her he is the epitome of honesty and goodness. Kamal needs nothing more. He joins again the queue of the job seekers.

So far I've found out that there's a dvd out by Bombino (which i think would be crappy enuff to make you throw up)
http://www.bombino.com/dvd/pushpak.htm
Are there any others??
Feel free to comment... :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 12:28 am 

Story, Screenplay & Directed by
SINGITHAM SRINIVASA RAO
Produced by:
SINGITHAM SRINIVASA RAO
and SRINGARAJ

Starcast
KAMAL HASAN, AMALA, TINU ANAND, SAMIR KHAKHAR, K. S. RAMESH, FARIDA JALAL

Length : 126 minutes
Color / NTSC / Dolby Digital
Universal / All zone
Code No. B-DVD 101

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 1:39 am 

I've also seen another disc of this film released by KAD Entertainment as "Pushpaka Vimanam." Which one is the less crappy disc, the Bombino or the KAD?

Edited By DragunR2 on 1030067148

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 2:29 am 

Dont care dragun :) But be careful of what you may find out (inside) from Gift Wrapped Boxes... with a touch of Eau De Cologne :D sprayed all over it ! :D

Edited By sknath on 1030069775

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 5:26 pm 

sknath wrote:
Dont care dragun :) But be careful of what you may find out (inside) from Gift Wrapped Boxes... with a touch of Eau De Cologne :D sprayed all over it ! :D

:D :D :D. I can still remember the face feelings of the guy who opens that gift. That was one great shit from Singeetham Srinivas!!! LOL!

KAD owns rights to the telugu version(does one exist for silent movie?) of this DVD. I suggest you all e-mail sudhakar@evpdvd.com asking him to get rights to redo this DVD from KAD.

I already requested EVP to get rights from KAD for a bunch of A.M.Ratnams movies, and few other great titles KAD owns including Pushpaka Vimanam.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:20 pm 

Screenshots from the Bombino DVD...

This is the second version of Pushpak that Bombino have released on DVD. The first was a really bad NTSC disc that was ghosted to hell. This one is proper PAL and has heavy DNR applied, but is otherwise pretty darn good. Colours are solid and sharpness is decent. Audio is a phony 5.1 mono track, but sounds okay all the same.

I imagine this version is probably out of print, with a newer one now out by Moser Baer (which doubtless will be PAL-to-NTSC and with a burned-in logo). However, Music Yogi seem to currently be selling the good Bombino version above - and at only Rs. 30 to boot! You can't go wrong there...

http://musicyogi.com/asp/movieDetails.asp?movId=MOV1218

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:54 am 

Moser baer is the same as bombino

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:20 pm 

NewDeep wrote:

Not quite. The Moser Baer re-releases are PAL-to-NTSC and have a logo burned into the picture.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:23 pm 

Stephen wrote:
NewDeep wrote:

Not quite. The Moser Baer re-releases are PAL-to-NTSC and have a logo burned into the picture.

OH!
But isn't Bombino Pushpak also NTSC?

And if PAL-to-NTSC then is there any speed slowdown?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:55 pm 

NewDeep wrote:
But isn't Bombino Pushpak also NTSC?

The first version was NTSC, but the second version (the above screenshots) is proper PAL.

NewDeep wrote:
And if PAL-to-NTSC then is there any speed slowdown?

No, just lots of ghosting as a result of the conversion.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:51 pm 

SS here is significantly better & brighter than KAD DVD.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:27 pm 

What is the runtime of the PAL Bombino?

The Moser Baer Bombino runs 2:04:59 and is NTSC (but PAL-to-NTSC indicated by Stephen) - has both MoserBaer and Bombino watermarks/logos.

Here are SS from Moser Baer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:24 pm 

The Bombino DVD (version 2) runs 2:05:07.

Thanks for the comparison shots. The Moser Baer DVD looks like it's been recorded using a scart cable. :?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:29 pm 

Stephen wrote:

Thanks for the comparison shots. The Moser Baer DVD looks like it's been recorded using a scart cable. :?

or from a vhs that was made from above said resource :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:52 pm 

Zoran009 wrote:
Stephen wrote:

or from a vhs that was made from above said resource :lol:
LOL!
Any idea of the runtime of the NTSC-Bombino?